Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is some photos of the new XCL that landed at our shop today. It looks really high quality! Can't wait to get it built up! Please let me know if anyone wants any better/other shots or measurements...

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
weight...

sorry i dont have a scale here, but this is still the straight tube version. my guess is about 7 lbs for this one. Ill try and weigh it before I build it up. Its snowing anyway!

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
uinta said:
sorry i dont have a scale here, but this is still the straight tube version. my guess is about 7 lbs for this one. Ill try and weigh it before I build it up. Its snowing anyway!
What do you mean "strait tub version"?

I like strait tubes. :confused:

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I thought it might have been the butted version. How is the stand over clearance on the xcl? Also, would you recommend a medium for a 5'10" rider. I recall a comment on the xcl vs motolite thread (I think) where it was mentioned that the xcl fits quite small. Thanks.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
straight gauge tubing...not the butted version. Butted version will be out beginning of next month.

Standover is hard to say without it being built up yet. They have certainly improved it (made more clearance) over the previous model. Yes, at 5 10 you would likely be in the medium category.

This thing reminds me of a burly motolite...a motolite that you could huck if you wanted. There is no doubt to the strength and stiffness this frame has, if you have never seen a Chumba in person they are definately impressive...

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Cool. Thanks for the info. I own an Evo right now and can attest to the quality of a Chumba frame. The xcl is more of a match for my riding style and it looks like it withstand some abuse.

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
uinta said:
This thing reminds me of a burly motolite...a motolite that you could huck if you wanted. There is no doubt to the strength and stiffness this frame has, if you have never seen a Chumba in person they are definately impressive...

I agree about the apperant "just plain trucker tough" appearance of the XCL. :thumbsup:

But you should never sell the ML short when it comes to "being able too huck", depending on your defanition of "huck" that is.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
497 Posts
Why the dependence on an E-type front derailleur? Is there a reason for doing this and eliminating other options? I think I would rather be able to choose the front derailleur. Why not set it up with iscg 05 mounts and have the option to run a chain guide or guide plus dual ring configuration.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The e-type is used because of the large outer diameter of the seat tube-->think massive. One of the nice things about using the e-type versus the traditional clamped derailleur is that in the event of a chain drop, it will drop onto the granny gear and not the bottom bracket shell.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Yeah I forgot to check the spec's again, these Chumba's have a cannon for a seat tube. I only ask because I like to run not traditional gears, 24/36 24/38 and 26/38.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Ronny - I think the medium XCL would fit you well. I'm the same height as you and the mediums I rode at last year's Interbike Dirt Demo fit me perfectly with a 90/100mm stem.

BTW - love the new head badge. Gives it a nice classy look.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
blackagness said:
I agree about the apperant "just plain trucker tough" appearance of the XCL. :thumbsup:

But you should never sell the ML short when it comes to "being able too huck", depending on your defanition of "huck" that is.:thumbsup:
Yeah, the motolite is a very versatile bike as well. I would probably be more than happy on a dozen or so of the trail bikes offered by various companies right now. Everyone is stepping up the quality these days.

The xcl reminds me of my old Heckler in the sense that it could be built up in the sub 30lb or 35lbs+ for the light freeride days. At least it looks that way in appearance.

·
..of the masses..
94 Posts
i wonder why they chose to use such a long brace. using a shorter, steeper brace would keep the brace away from, well, private parts, and also drop the top tube. the way it is now, judging by pictures only, the tt may be dropped but it seems if i stand over the bike, my boys are gonna be hanging just above where the brace welds to the top tube. eh, thats like effectively increasing standover...know what i mean? the bike is looking spanking though! i like that it has just enough room even with the piggyback shock to wiggle in a water bottle, very important for fatsos like me who need the extra water!

·
Registered
786 Posts
hagar said:
i wonder why they chose to use such a long brace. using a shorter, steeper brace would keep the brace away from, well, private parts, and also drop the top tube. the way it is now, judging by pictures only, the tt may be dropped but it seems if i stand over the bike, my boys are gonna be hanging just above where the brace welds to the top tube. eh, thats like effectively increasing standover...know what i mean? the bike is looking spanking though! i like that it has just enough room even with the piggyback shock to wiggle in a water bottle, very important for fatsos like me who need the extra water!
I have a feeling that's a large frame, so taller people might not have issues with the standover. The smalls and mediums may have shorter seat braces - at least that's what it seems like in some of the other pics.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=2935623&postcount=1

·
Registered
1,134 Posts

dubjay said:
I have a feeling that's a large frame, so taller people might not have issues with the standover. The smalls and mediums may have shorter seat braces - at least that's what it seems like in some of the other pics.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=2935623&postcount=1
Dubjay is correct...that is a large frame, and the top strut isn't so long that it would interfere with standover....

·
Registered
502 Posts
The frame has such beautiful lines but the seat brace looks all wrong - way too heavy handed (compare to the brace Turner uses). Was hoping this brace was a "development" thing but looks like it is going into production. Realize everyone has an opinion. Guess I'm hoping others will feel the same and the brace will change and then I can run out and buy one without any hesitation.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
built!

Actual Geometry Specs (Frame is a large):

With the Pike at 140mm, all the way out (520mm Axle to Crown)

Head Tube Angle is 68 degrees.

Standover at 140mm is 32 inches.

Bottom Bracket Height is 13.75 inches.

With the Pike at 110mm, or all the way down (495mm Axle to Crown)

Head Tube and is 70 degrees.

Standover is 31.5 inches

Bottom Bracket Height is 13.25 inches.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 43 Posts