Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People have posted tons of pictures of the MC Flight 29, but not many of the 07 Unit 2-9. . . not sure why unless people are scared of the purple. Anyway, this is mine. I'm new to the Rigid, SS and 29er thing, but I've been having a blast with it on the frozen trails.

Attachments

·
Samsonite Tester
3,993 Posts
Looks sharp. Enjoy.

sliders , and down tube are different than '06. Is the top tube teardrop shape?

·
Registered
131 Posts
bhc said:
It looks like you have plenty of space in the back for a wider tire from the last pic, how much extra space do you estimate over the Ignitor?
Tons -- please note that he has his sliders in a forward position -- there isn't a tire currently made in the 29er category (that I am aware of) that can fill the rear chainstays on a Unit 2-9 or a Kula 2-9 - if you simply make the necessary adjustment(s) with the sliding dropouts.

Speaking of which I own both and not only are they beautiful - I have a special liking for blue bikes - but Kona's geometry on their 29er bikes is spot on. The bikes do it all and do it exceptionally well -- right down to more than adequate fork clearance -- with snappy to confident handling using anywhere from 75-100mm of travel up front.

Cheers...

Dave

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bhc said:
It looks like you have plenty of space in the back for a wider tire from the last pic, how much extra space do you estimate over the Ignitor?
Even with the sliders forward I don't believe any tire currently made would rub. The Chainstay design is unique.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Nice!!

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
drbiker said:
Even with the sliders forward I don't believe any tire currently made would rub. The Chainstay design is unique.
So true. When I first saw the design, I was visually underwhelmed. It looked ugly to me, but it's since gotten a lot more beautiful as I realize how much extra clearance the design offers. It's impressive, and is about the best clearance of any off-the-rack 29er today.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rear Hub Pros and Cons???

About the same as on any other sub 1K 29er SS. It does have Avid BB-7's (which I love) rather than BB-5's like the MC Flight. It also has external Bottom Bracket if that makes a difference to you. I'm curious . . . The MC Flight uses a free hub with a cog and spacers (and a quick release which I like). The Unit 2-9 uses a BMX type freewheel and bolt on hub. Any pros or cons to one over the other (besides the obvious quick release)?????

·
No Justice = No Peace
1,512 Posts
Freewheel/Cog Bolt on/QR

I don't know which hub they use, but I can't imagine where the axle choice would depend on the freewheel/cog choice. I have an ENO hub which is bolt on and a Hadley which can go either way. They say that a bolt on hub will give more stability, but I doubt if I could feel the difference when riding. I like the clean look of the bolt on system.... And I like the easy gear changes of cogs VS freewheels, although the White Industries ENO hub/freewheel make such a super sweet wheel........

·
gentle like
14,837 Posts
drbiker said:
About the same as on any other sub 1K 29er SS. It does have Avid BB-7's (which I love) rather than BB-5's like the MC Flight. It also has external Bottom Bracket if that makes a difference to you. I'm curious . . . The MC Flight uses a free hub with a cog and spacers (and a quick release which I like). The Unit 2-9 uses a BMX type freewheel and bolt on hub. Any pros or cons to one over the other (besides the obvious quick release)?????
I can't believe I'm asking this, but do you know how much it weighs? The Unit 2-9 is on my short list, but none of my lbs'es can help - not even one in stock for me to "heft test."

Ugh ... now I feel like a weenie.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
kept man said:
I can't believe I'm asking this, but do you know how much it weighs? The Unit 2-9 is on my short list, but none of my lbs'es can help - not even one in stock for me to "heft test."

Ugh ... now I feel like a weenie.
last week i weighed both a 19" Unit 2-9 and 21" Monocog Flight 29er (21"), both with pedals, on the shop's digital scale:

Unit = 27.2 lbs
Flight= 27.3 lbs

·
gentle like
14,837 Posts
FoShizzle said:
last week i weighed both a 19" Unit 2-9 and 21" Monocog Flight 29er (21"), both with pedals, on the shop's digital scale:

Unit = 27.2 lbs
Flight= 27.3 lbs
Thanks.

Sadly, thar be no Monocogs around here ... at all. Unit 2-9s can at least be ordered; Redline cannot be found.

·
SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
1,201 Posts
Funny that Kona has gone so crazy with 29'ers. I remember back a few years when I was talking directly with Kona (I was working in a Kona shop) and lamenting that I really wanted one built by them and would gladly ride a prototype. The response at the time was that they had no intention of doing any at the time, but that the guy I was talking to on the phone, wished that they would.

Cool how companys tend to come around...eventually. At least Kona seems to have done it right, but that's kind of their thing. Do it right the first time or don't do it.

·
Registered
418 Posts
What kind of Hubs??

What wheelset and hubs came on yours?? I have the green color version I guess it's the 2006 or inbetween model frame. It came with SunDS2s and the hub is all black with no markings I can find anywhere. Is it a Sun hub? Shimano?? I've had to true both my wheels already and am not to sure of the overall quality there. Anyone else experience that?

I love mine. It's ashame they changed the downtube . The teardrop shape I loved right away and helped in my choice of purchase.

Jim

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
07 Unit 2-9 (from website)

Front hub KK Disc
Rear hub KK SS Disc
Spokes 14g front and 14g rear stainless DT
Tires Maxxis Ignitor 29x2.1
Rims Sun CR-18

No problems yet, although I am sure they aren't the lightest. The only thing I've found is that I have to use a tire lever, which I've never had to do before. My friend with WTB 29 rims is also having to use a tire lever for the first time. What's up with that? Is it a 29 thing?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.