Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
pb2
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I built my 6.6 up at Christmas money was tight (always is but hey) so I threw a pair of Pikes on it and to be fair its a decent combo because most of my riding in the UK is very varied and I don't do big air, unless something goes wrong :eek:

I now want to trade up to either the 160 mm Lyrics or 160mm Talas.and my question is all about how the increased length will affect the geometry.

The Lyric I would choose would be the 2 step thats 160mm normal height and 115mm for climbing and the Talas is a 3 step unit at 160mm-140mm-120mm. I can see me using the 120mm for climbing but I am not that sure where I would use the 140mm (maybe fast twisting single track?)

My headset is the ever popular Cane Creek XC double flush.

What do you reckon the actual head angle will be at 160mm and 115/120mm ?

Thanks in advance PB

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I am waiting on the Lyric or Totem myself, i currently have a 66RC, 170mm (very tall A/C) It is good on short climbs, but leaves a little to be desired on lengthier climbs that get technical. I wouldn't worry too much about the head angle, it will be taller than your pike, but better suited for the bike your on than the Pike, it has a short axle to crown of around 515mm, if you try something more like 545-565mm you'll probably dig it. Ride On- E2

·
pb2
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi E2, thanks for the reply, I know the a/c is just as important as the actual length of travel, is the a/c data available yet fot the Lyric and 07 Talas ? and why Rockshow for you rather than Fox? thnx PB

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
i have had great luck with my Pike on my urban bike, plenty of rough landings, and I think the Lyric would be just the same, also wanting something different from the norm. I don't know of any data on measurements yet.

·
pb2
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Charles its a 6.6, does anyone yet have any axle to crown info on either the new 07 160mm 36 Talas RC2 or the new RS Lyric (two step with 1.5 steerer) which is due out in Sept/Oct, thnx in advance

·
pb2
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Eric/Charles thnx - if I can get the Lyric meausurments I should be in a position to make a decision, I think my next move is an email to Sram.

·
pb2
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK its taken a while but I have finally admitted to my self that the a/c of the Pikes is compromising the handling and ride of the 6.6 so the Pikes are going on evilbay and I need to get a replacement set of forks with a 20mm axle.

Now from where I stand I have two choices -

1 - buy some thing cheap on evilbay or the classifieds whilst I wait for feedback on the new 07 forks and then buy the 07 product once there is enough info to make an informed choice

2 ignore the 07 stuff and just buy the best 06 product now

What do think ? I really need to get this right and I do have a strong preference for forks that you can lower for climbing.

look forward to your advice

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
yespsb said:
When I built my 6.6 up at Christmas money was tight (always is but hey) so I threw a pair of Pikes on it and to be fair its a decent combo because most of my riding in the UK is very varied and I don't do big air, unless something goes wrong :eek:

I now want to trade up to either the 160 mm Lyrics or 160mm Talas.and my question is all about how the increased length will affect the geometry.

The Lyric I would choose would be the 2 step thats 160mm normal height and 115mm for climbing and the Talas is a 3 step unit at 160mm-140mm-120mm. I can see me using the 120mm for climbing but I am not that sure where I would use the 140mm (maybe fast twisting single track?)

My headset is the ever popular Cane Creek XC double flush.

What do you reckon the actual head angle will be at 160mm and 115/120mm ?

Thanks in advance PB
Actually the new '07 TALAS goes from 160mm,130mm,100mm pretty sweet, haven't ridden one yet, but the '06 TALAS 36 rides very plush. E2

·
pb2
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Eric, whats the uncut weight of the 07 160mm Talas ? be good if you could ping me a pm with a price as well :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was faced with the same issue a couple of months ago. When I got the 6.6, I used the Pike fork I already had. It served me great, and I had no problems with it on the 6.6. However, as everyone else, a new paycheck started burning a hole in my pocket, and I just HAD to find something to upgrade.... Settled on the Fox 36 Van R. Took a couple of rides to get used to, but it does make the bike more 'balanced'. I was also thinking about getting the adjustable Talas, but after talking with a few guys who have it, I realized that none of'em ever use the adjustments! Everyone used it on the longest setting, and couldn't be bothered to twist it down for climbs or XC.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts