Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys.. planning a get a bike for my wife so we can go ride together..

got a deal for a 07 Superlight, very low mileage very good condition n also viewing a 08 Trek EX8. both i can hv for similar price.

the Superlight, though a year old, has got a time proven design going for it.. as for the EX8, it is a completely new bike, new design(looks promising) ..
saw on the Trek forum they had some problems w the frame, hopefully by now they had dat sorted out?

anyone here rode tis 2 bikes b4? any inputs/comments for me?

btw wife test rode the 2 bikes at a LBS, both she seems to like..:confused:
also we ride mostly local light XC trails

·
Registered
797 Posts
for light XC use, both bikes are well qualified,

I would give the edge to the SL based solely on the fact that it is very (almost no) maintenance. I am not a fan of SCs warranty policy, and have had nothing but good luck with Trek, while I had my Trek ( for 3 years). I actually prefer the ride of the Trek since they added the seatstay pivots over that of the Superlight. Taking this all into account, I would take a NEW EX8 over a USED SL any day. If you should ever need the warranty, at least odds are, Trek will help you out. SC, since you are the second owner, may or may not offer a frame replacement warranty, which means, best case, you still will be coughing up hundreds of dollars for a replacement part, probably a swingarm, if it is still available. I know, I've been there, done that...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thnx guys.. hard to ignore the SL single pivot simplicity, time proven n all, but seems like a new EX is the way to go.. wow love the new design.. ya ya never buy into new design in their 1st year i know.. but owners n mag reviews r all good..:)

thnx again guys

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.