Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am upgrading my bike soon, and since I don’t have 3k to buy a new dream bike, I’ll be buying used. I have found a Gary Fisher hifi pro and a Specialized Stumpjumper fsr comp. both of these bikes are about two hours away so just going and test riding them is a little out of my reach. my limit is about 800 for my “new” bike. I am not looking to so any racing but I really like riding downhill and do a lot of single track trail riding.
the guy with the fisher is asking 650. The bike form what I have seen in pics is a little beat up, at least cosmetically. It has the G2 geometry, which I hear is pretty awesome. With him only asking 650 I could the excess money I have to upgrade the stem, handlebars and tires. has anyone had a bike similar to this? What do you think of it?
The other bike I am looking at is a Specialized stumpjumper comp of the same year. The bike is in excellent condition, Garage kept and hardly ridden. It may need a tune up soon though. The guy is asking 1k but I have talked him down to 775. I may be able to get him to do 750 with some haggling. With that price it may not able to upgrade anything. I also like the components on this bike a little more. Just due to the condition I am leaning more towards this bike. What do you guys think of this bike?
Here are the ads:
Gary Fisher HIfi pro
2007 Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Pro, Large (19")
Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
Specialized FSR Comp - Excellent Condition

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im 6' 5" i like my bikes a little small so i can throw them around a little better without feeling like the bike is riding me.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You really can't tell on any scratches on the stumpy with the pics but for sure on the fisher. Any one else have an opinion?

·
Vitamin Bike Added
615 Posts
Those older stumpys have annoying pedal strike issues. I had an 08 (newer frame design). But sold it because regardless of shock set up it sagged and pedal struck on technical Arizona climbs too much. I have an issue with the condition of that hifi... I'm pretty much a free rider take jumps and drops and I have an 04 kona that looks 10 times cleaner than that... I don't know how people beat up frames cosmetically like that and makes me question other maintenance overall...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those older stumpys have annoying pedal strike issues. I had an 08 (newer frame design). But sold it because regardless of shock set up it sagged and pedal struck on technical Arizona climbs too much. I have an issue with the condition of that hifi... I'm pretty much a free rider take jumps and drops and I have an 04 kona that looks 10 times cleaner than that... I don't know how people beat up frames cosmetically like that and makes me question other maintenance overall...
its funny you bring up your kona, i found an 06 kona coiler deluxe that i may be interested in. the only problem is the guy only posted one pic and said it needed "minor fixes." he hasn't gotten back to me about what that means.
here is the ad:
2006 Kona Coiler Deluxe
What Kona do you ride? how do you like it? i curious because i want to get into riding like that, not just flat single track anymore.
her is the ad

·
Vitamin Bike Added
615 Posts
Whew that's a sick bike! If you can get that for $400 it's a steal. I have a dawg but always wanted and watch for deals in coilers. I don't push the dawg TOO hard as I have bigger bikes too but the dawg is great. You can see mine in my profile.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i am really interested in it, but the guy hasn't gotten back to me yet about the issues. ill also have to wait and see to sell my current bike to be able to afford a new one.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I was looking at very similar bikes recently. I would stay away from the HiFi, especially if you are a bigger guy. There are numerous posts about the rear of the frame breaking. Just Google it and a few threads will pop up.
https://www.google.com/search?q=gar...UTF-8#q=gary+fisher+hifi+broken+frame&spell=1

I ended up buying an 06 Kona King Kikapu...I love it. Its built pretty tough, components were pretty good, and rides great. I ended up getting it for $550, which I thought was a decent deal.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i think i am going to offer that guy like 450 and see if he bites. if not 500 is still a hell of a deal for a 6" travel bike.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i bought the Kona Coiler for 450. after new pads, derailleur adjustments, a new front axle, and a bleed kit for the brakes and it'll be ready for a trail. after a good clean i will post pics.

·
Registered
309 Posts
The Gary Fisher Hifi was prone to cracks in the chainstays that frequently led to catostrophic failure, I believe that the 07 was included in that. Just saw one in person a couple weeks ago that was on the verge of snapping. You would be SOL if it happened to you as replacement frames are only offered if you're the original owner. So in short you made the right decision staying away from it.

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
i bought the Kona Coiler for 450. after new pads, derailleur adjustments, a new front axle, and a bleed kit for the brakes and it'll be ready for a trail. after a good clean i will post pics.
Looks like a nice find-- enjoy! I think you'll be happy you didn't get the HiFi, they had a bad reputation for frames breaking.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts