Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Test rode an 08 SJ FSR Expert in a back-to-back comparison on the same trail against my 07 SJ FSR Elite today. Didn't care much for the 08 frame, but I really liked the AFR Brain. I've read all of the AFR shock horror stories here with respect to the Enduro SL and Epic models, but a search of the Spec forum doesn't yield much info regarding the reliability of the AFR on a Stumpy. Any of you owners out there please share our thoughts on this subject. Assuming I can still find one, I'm leaning towards an '07 SJ Pro as a result of my test ride.

Actually, while I'm at it, has anyone compared the Fox Brain on an 07 SJ Expert to the AFR Brain on an 07 SJ Pro? If they are about the same, perhaps I should search for an Expert instead.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My original shock blew early on as well...not a catastrophic failure, but it was leaking oil badly. My LBS got me a replacement overnight and the new one has several hundred miles and 7-8 trouble free months.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have an 07' Stumoy Pro and blew the main dust seal
in the first 100 miles. My LBS got a replacement overnite
and I have been trouble free since. Get the 07' Pro if you
can find one. Specialized still had some a few months back
as frame only. The Pro is Ano red or black, I think the
other models are painted, I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
168 Posts
If you like the '07 better than the '08, then just get it. My friend has an new '07 Pro that he just bought on closeout and the brain was broken on it right out of the box. He had the LBS call Spec and they replaced it right away. LBS called him yesterday to let him know that the new shock was in and they had sent him the '08 shock. So if your shock ever breaks, you might end up with the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
168 Posts
solara said:
So the 08 shock is the same eye-to-eye and stroke length as the 07 shock?
Guess so. He called me today to tell me the LBS has the new shock on the bike and it's ready to go. I would be surprised if Spec. sent a shock that wouldn't fit the bike unless there was some miscommunication between them and the LBS

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.