Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
jcard14
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Comp, Elite or Expert?????

I was at my LBS today looking at the 07 Stumpy lineup, I must say I was very impressed with all models. I was thinking about splurging and going for the Expert, Any thoughts out there on why I shouldn't??? I ride primarily in Florida where the terrain changes often (flat, little climb, flat, little downhill), so I was thinking the Brain would be a benefit as I wouldn't have to be constantly changing the shock settings. My buddy has the S-Works Epic with the brain and he loves it. Thoughts???

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you have the money get the brain. If not go with the Elite, better components. Did you check with your LBS to see if they could special order you a '06. I saved $400 when I choose to get the '06 Enduro SX Trail over the '07 and most of the time same frame and components. The M5 frame of the '07 on the Stumpy's is sweet but I checked my LBS not much difference in weight. M4 frames still rock. Good luck, either way there both awesome bikes. :)

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I actually have the 07 expert, and it is SWEET! The parts are awesome, and the brain is really cool. The only negative thing I could say is that it can be adjusted from firm to soft, but if you're riding on a singletrack that goes up and down, you don't want to get off your bike to adjust the settings from soft-firm-soft again. But maybe I should just run it inbetween. But overall, the bikes sweet! I never had x0, and I'm never going back to the other stuff. New juicys look and work awesome, and the talas adjustability works amazing. Personally, i rather have a marzochi w/ eta, i like that better. But, fox is number 1 for a reason. Color wise, I would have gone w/ the stumpy comp in black/red, but the charcoal ano is very cool. Hope this helps!

·
bike dork extraordinaire
628 Posts
Stumpy_Steve said:
I actually have the 07 expert, and it is SWEET! The parts are awesome, and the brain is really cool. The only negative thing I could say is that it can be adjusted from firm to soft, but if you're riding on a singletrack that goes up and down, you don't want to get off your bike to adjust the settings from soft-firm-soft again. But maybe I should just run it inbetween. But overall, the bikes sweet! I never had x0, and I'm never going back to the other stuff. New juicys look and work awesome, and the talas adjustability works amazing. Personally, i rather have a marzochi w/ eta, i like that better. But, fox is number 1 for a reason. Color wise, I would have gone w/ the stumpy comp in black/red, but the charcoal ano is very cool. Hope this helps!
I picked up one of the 07 comps in black/red (a nice color indeed!) and so far I love it. I only paid $1750 and for that price, the level of parts are very hard to beat. Although I'm sure the brain works nice, I just don't see the need for a 5" bike that firms up like a hardtail. If I'm going to ride full-suspension, I want it to be active!

·
jcard14
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks all for the advice, the Brain has sucked me in. I must have it!!!! Ordering today in charcoal, I'll be riding it by Saturday!!!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Where are you located? My LBS has only comps in, and said that the charcoal is back ordered (Red is available). I ordered an elite about a month ago, and was told they only released 100 of those nation wide (US) so hopefully mine is one of those, but still wiating . . . . Hope my LBS is being forthright with me. If it doesn't show, Im thinking of stepping it up, but not if the charcoal is gonna take even longer.

Edit: Sorry saw you are in Fl. Anyone in the Ca. seen or heard anything different?

·
jcard14
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, last saturday they told me it would take 4-5 days.

Got a call back that said the charcoal ano is on back order until Jan.

An hour later they called back and said they could have it at the end of October (3 weeks)

Hope this helps

·
Registered
21 Posts
Jcard, Yeah that does help thanks, thats what I had heard January also, sounds like they got one for you from somewhere else, another shop, or cancelled order perhaps. Congrats to you, hope if comes through. I'm still waiting to get word on mine.

Steve, going to give my LBS another week to give me the final, we have your bike, or its a no go to go with alternatives. For financial reasons I paid in full already, I have no doubt they will refund me in any way I want, and in that event I will definitly check out the fremont shop.

My LBS has been hooking me up, (free grips, new chain for the HT) to keep me on the trail, but really want to get on the new bike. The realtionship with the shop at this point is pretty important (they're across the street from my house, prices have been good, they seem to be pretty cool and super knowledgable) so Im gonna give them benefit of the doubt since is seems they are being upfront.

Bottom line, Im just glad to hear that I wasn't misled with any of the information I received, but if the elite doesn't show its face next week, Im gonna have to push for another deal, wonder if I can change my screen name . . . .

Thanks for the replys.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Got my Stumpy Expert last Thursday colour Charcoal Grey. Absolutley fallen in love with the beast. Abused it as much as possible on weekend just gone on some local trails, and it held up just fine. Loving the Brain, and as first f/s loving the hole feel of the bike. 140mm travel on front fork superb, and general response of the bike under foot is amazing. Suprisingly light as well considering i got the XL.
I have heard from my LBS that i was fortunate enough to get the bike when i did, as they are not able to get any more L or XL until feb/march. Don't think this affects you guys though as this is in the UK!!

·
jcard14
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ohhh, I forgot to mention in my post yesterday that my LBS is telling me that Specialized keeps pushing a PURPLE frame in the Expert build. Haven't seen that one anywhere??? Thanks but no thanks, I'll wait three weeks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
stumpy elite

07elite said:
Where are you located? My LBS has only comps in, and said that the charcoal is back ordered (Red is available). I ordered an elite about a month ago, and was told they only released 100 of those nation wide (US) so hopefully mine is one of those, but still wiating . . . . Hope my LBS is being forthright with me. If it doesn't show, Im thinking of stepping it up, but not if the charcoal is gonna take even longer.

Edit: Sorry saw you are in Fl. Anyone in the Ca. seen or heard anything different?
07 elite---I ordered an elite about a month ago also.. haven't been to the LBS lately. Put $1000 down on it. Good thing I'm busy working on my house otherwise I would be getting tired of waiting. I don't want the comp(no talas fork) and the next model above the elite is too much $$ so I'll wait for the elite.. I expect to see it in the next week or two. I'll keep you posted here in Sac, Calif

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.