Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was attempting to take off my headset earlier so that I could inspect the bearings in the head tube. Anyhow, I turned the cap screw and it just snapped, the other part is broken off down inside the top of the fork. Is there anything I can do? Is the cap's main role keeping stuff out or holding the fork on? The stem is keeping it on now but just wondering how important the cap screw is...

·
Big Gulps, Alright!
3,223 Posts
The cap screw is only important to preload the bearings. The stem bolts actually hold things together. You can ride the bike in this condition, assuming you haven't messed with the stem bolts.

You should be able to unscrew the snapped off bolt and just replace it with a new one. Vice grips may help.

·
Registered
394 Posts
You need the cap screw, your headset will come loose even with your stem bolts on tight. Grease your bolts so it doesn't happen again. You probably can't get the bolt out of the star nut as it is seized in, hence why it broke off. Take a screwdriver and a hammer and break the flanges of the star nut to get it out and just install a new star nut.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts