Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Trying a little
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does youz Kona heads think about filing down the dope threaded bolt/thingy that sticks out in the seatube ( see pic ) - goal would be to file it down enough to slide the seatpost all the way down

Attachments

·
Trying a little
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the best of the real world, and the alternative universe of telescoping seatposts ... no that's too much fun for me to take. I just wanna file down that bolt.

·
Trying a little
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can picture filing the seat tube by accident. Could only have been designed by a real D.O.P.E.

·
Registered
350 Posts
trail bait said:
File it anything beyond the contact threads is pointless
You risk damaging a very important part of your bike's structure, even if you don't use DOPE......

How bout an alternative. do a little mod to the side of your seat post at the bottom. that part will never be up as high as the clamp, and it will be on the side, so it won't be in the loaded direction anyway. Maybe a little flat, or a notch, to let you lower the post a little more. It sounds like you must have an extremely long seatpost anyway, mine never comes close.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I'm no engineer but I believe that to be the floating brake mount. The pivots on the top tube. As for me you saw how I drilled out my shock mounts and eyelets to put larger diameter and higher grade bolts and it has held up. Call me and I'll set you up with the tool to grind it. I doubt you want to cut the seat post down. Call Dana he may have a buyer for your old bike and he said a couple hundred for his fork.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
waa laa!!

i did this exact thing. works great. just alittle tight when getting out from the lowest position. but i get 7 inches of seat sdropping this way!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Why should filing down damage the frame? The welding is only on the outside. I see no function of the part being on the inside. I would have long done it if I knew how the hell I get to it with a tool. Its a shame having a full length seattube and not being able to lower the seat properly.
Cutting out the seatpost IS weakening the structure. For climbs I have the seatpost higher as the marking anyway. So no go.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I did it!

was not easy, but it was an adventure inside the seattube.
JUST TO FIND OUT that the bottom of the seattube has a slightly smaller diameter... aaaarggghhh ... okay, a 28,6mm seattube fits in with a shim.

I wont agree with limited capabilities on the Stinky, and wont use telescopic posts.

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
Dotkom said:
Okay, a 28,6mm seattube fits in with a shim.
Yep, I noticed this using a 27.2 with shim. :thumbsup:

I switch seatposts almost daily depending on where I'm riding. Somedays it's my Gravity Dropper, other days a solid post.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.