Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please clear up my confusion on 8 speed.

My GF has a sweet old Klein HT, its was all XT 8 speed. The rear derailleur is just plain dead, the shifters are dying.

We scored some SRAM X.9 derailleur and shifters at the Veloswap and was told it works fine for both 8 or 9 speed. And depending on what website you go to, its labeled as such... for example here:

http://www.blueskycycling.com/produ...railleur-&-X.9-Trigger-Shifters-Combo-Kit.htm

I haven't put them on yet, but how the heck does this work?? I mean, I realize the spacing is different between 8 or 9, or if its compatible with both, how do you set it up for 8?? Is it just a matter of adjusting the limit screws? Anyone riding this with success??

Thanks!

·
Registered
412 Posts
if you have 9 speed shifters then you need a 9 speed cassette. the der. doesnt matter if its 8 or 9 speed. der. are "dummy" items and only do what the shifter tells it. just get a new cassette and chain thats 9 speed and your set. you can find combo deals on them for around $50

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Merky, what you say is all true, but (I think) eddie is asking something different. On that BlueSky ad and even on SRAM's website, the X.9 shifters are advertised as "8 or 9 speed".

It's true that you need to match cassette and shifter (the RD being dumb), but I think eddie is wondering how the shifter is advertised to be "8 or 9 speed". For instance, do you just use and 8-speed cassette & chain, and then disregard the 9th gear position of the shifter?

That's a good question... None of the online shops I checked advertise a strictly 8-speed version of the 07 X.9 shifter, so I'm curious how all that would work too.

Cheers, Chris

·
Registered
412 Posts
no a 9 speed spaceing is differnet than a 8 speed. you need to state 8 or 9 speed when ordering. thats what they mean. you can NOT use 9 speed stuff for 8 speed. the whole not useing the last gear think will NOT work

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
True dat. I had a brain fart there earlier. yeah eddie, the 9-speed shifter won't work on a an 8-speed cassette because of how much it "pulls" on the shifting cable. Just like there is a small difference in size between 8 and 9 speed chains, there's that little bit of difference in the amount that a 9-speed shifter shifts versus an 8-speed shifter. I'm not sure why that obvious fact wasn't coming to me earlier...

Merky has it it right. The only totally "dumb" parts in the drivetrain are the derailleurs and cables. Those other parts (chain, cassette, shifters) all need to match as either 8 or 9 speed.

Which brings us back to eddie's original question... If these things are available in 8-speed as the SRAM site implies, then they aren't easy to find. eddie, I would try asking LBS or contacting one of the big online shops and asking about how to get 'em.

Apologies to all for adding to the fog and friction earlier, I don't know where my head was...

Cheers, Chris

·
Registered
556 Posts
Merkyworks said:
no a 9 speed spaceing is differnet than a 8 speed. you need to state 8 or 9 speed when ordering. thats what they mean. you can NOT use 9 speed stuff for 8 speed. the whole not useing the last gear think will NOT work
i'll have to disagree here. i ran 9 speed shifters with an 8 speed drivetrain for several months with no problems. just set the limit screws correctly. this was shimano stuff. i have since gone to all sram 9 speed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I read another post where a member emailed Sram with this question and was told that the 8 speed shifters are available in OEM versions only. The same thread suggested that some older model 8 spd shifters come up for sale when new models are introduced. I looked at every online retailer I could find and could only come up with X7's in 8sd from Price Point, however they are the 2005 model. Slim pickings!
Try a search on the subject.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup, chris... thanks for clearing up my question... that was it.

And thanks for the replies... its still foggy, I emailed bluesky, they said you just have to set the limit screws acordingly, but that just doesn't seem to make sense to me based on the different spacing.

Well anyway... I'm going to keep asking, probably call LBS, and sent an email of to Larry and Mtn. High... so I'll post back if I get a concrete answer.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
412 Posts
a 9 sp chain is slimmer than a 8 sp. so that means that the center to center on a cassette will be wider on a 8 sp. the fact is that 8 sp has enough room on its chain to cassette spaceing that you can get away with using 9 sp stuff. this is also why 8 sp still have a following, because its not as sensetive as 9 sp. so the 9 sp shifters move the chain close enough to make it work.

BUT if you want to do it right then get a true 8 sp shifter or just bite the bullet and go 9 sp

·
Registered
556 Posts
it sucks that sram doesn't make xo and x9 stuff in 8 speed anymore because i would be all about it as i'm sure a lot of others would as well.(i'm sure this topic has been beaten to death) i almost bought a pair of x9 twist shifters on ebay but i decided not to at the last minute because i've changed around my drivetrain so often lately that i'm just gonna ride it the way it is for a while.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.