Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there riding street with a SX trail?

Thinking of building up a Specialized SX Trail for for dirt jumping, street and freeride. Looking for something that can handle 6 foot drops with out a problem. Is the XS trail versitile enough for dirt jumping and street?

Leaning towards a Rock Shox Domain with the adjustible travel for a fork.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
the domain isnt the greatist fork out there. my friend hated his.

the sx is really much more made for Freeride/AM

look into something like the yakuza series from ironhorse. I might be willing to sell you my frame if you wanted it. 05 yakuza bakuto, ridden like 10 times. but the SX is going to be a real pig for street and DJ. look into a hardtail. evil imperial, banshee morphine, yakuza series. I mean, I'll take my P. series from Specialized off of a 6 footer, but anything over that with a Street/park/DJ specific bike starts to get a little sketchy unless you start looking into something like a yakuza, evil, banshee.

·
Registered
493 Posts
im assuming u mean the trail I frame right? well i think it would be pretty burly for DJ, and especially street. It would do fine maybe on the DJ and freeride, but street . ...naw.

try the kona cowan DS tho, its siicckk . 2006 or 2007

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
trying to ride street on a bike like that would be retarded. A good hardtail can handle 6 foot drops. Your not going to get a bike that is that versatile (street to freeride) and rides all terrains awesome. But if you must have a dual sus, that cowan ds looks good. or transition double

·
gnar, brah
1,861 Posts
cummings said:
trying to ride street on a bike like that would be retarded. A good hardtail can handle 6 foot drops. Your not going to get a bike that is that versatile (street to freeride) and rides all terrains awesome. But if you must have a dual sus, that cowan ds looks good. or transition double
I second the Double. I've wanted one of those for urban for a while. A whole Transition quiver would be awesome, come to think of it.

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
new SX is ridiculous overkill for street/dj. the original version with shorter travel would be a bit better, but still not anywhere near ideal.

urban hucking is a different story... but for anything else street/dj/park, it will suck bad.

if you are set on full suspension for a jack of all trades bike, look towards some 4X bikes.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. I'll stick with my Gary Fisher Opie (changed out all the parts) for street and dirt jumping. I'll just try and limit the temptation to do big drops :D

·
Registered
402 Posts
HiHoEskimo said:
Thanks for the info. I'll stick with my Gary Fisher Opie (changed out all the parts) for street and dirt jumping. I'll just try and limit the temptation to do big drops :D
Umm. I'm not sure you understand the what GF was trying to do with the bigg'ns line, the whole lineup are like what they are calling 'freeride hardtails' so do a big drop on your Opie, the frame will hold it(components, well that depends on what you got), and if not then you get a new frame, GF hs always been great to me with warranty stuff.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I actually won the Opie in a race. Was planning on selling it until I got on it and could wheelie it and do rockwalks on it like it was a 20 inch. I've done some dirt jumping the past few years and just started street. I have been doing a lot of drops to flat and usually concrete (3 to 4 feet max). Find it really helps with my XC racing.

I was thinking of the SX trail wil all the drops I do and the rogue freeride trails in the area. After looking at the post of everyones bike on this forum, yea FS and street/dirt jumping doesn't go together well.

Just gota stop watching my ROAM DVD! :D

·
I post too much.
6,445 Posts
Nah-ah. Just flat out no. Total EFFIN' overkill. Unless what you call street riding is drops drops drops. Plus, 6 feet isn't all that much, you don't need an SX-trail for that.

I've done 6 foot to flat and about 10 feet to transition on my hardtail, no problems. If you are dead set on using a dual susser, go for the transition double or cowan DS, but really, street riding is great on a dedicated bike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.