Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm shoppin for a new bike. I got burned tryin to pack in too much bang for the buck before, so i want just a simple, but quality(ish) hardtail.

I've owned an '05 Rockhopper before and it was perfectly fine. I upgraded (and still have) a RS Reba fork, Avid BB7 brakes, and good wheels that i plan to put on my new bike. So i'm basically frameset shopping.

A) '07 base Rockhopper - $520. might go on closeout in a month or two..

B) '07 Stumpjumper - $1400. Wow, thats a mighty big jump in price. I'm confused as to what exactly im paying for.. remember i'm after the fame primarily.

C) '08 Rockhopper - $550. This one has an M4 frame.. is it the same as the Stumpy? If not whats different? It seems like a great deal compared to the Stumpy.. what am i missing?

Any input/advice woudl be greatly appreciated.

·
Time is not a road.
4,150 Posts
S-works Stumpy is M5, but M4 in base model. There's also a difference in geometry between the RH and SJ frames.

Are these frame prices? I'm guessing not and I assume you'll need the other parts that come with the full bike purchase. In that case, you'll get way better accessory parts on the Stumpjumper (I don't find the '08 specs online to compare, however). Is it worth $900 more? Probably not...I hate all the proprietary Special Ed stuff. Since you've already got good parts, I'd get the '05 RH and save some cash for further upgrades. Can they really make that many monumental changes to a frame year after year? I mean, what do they know now that they didn't know then? What mysterious secrets were locked in the Specailized vault only to be revealed in 2008? It's coo coo...

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Indeed, thats what i'm wondering. the '08 Rockhopper frame "looks" the same, but maybe its just a tad lighter? might not be worth it. but then again, its only $30 and 2 months of waiting more..

Also in the mix i guess, would be the Specialized FSR XC. its $1200. I'll do some homework on that as well

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i got my '08 rockhopper in today!

woot.

I took 'er out for a 14mile ride and it was great. i felt as light and free as a bird. the fit was great, it felt fast and efficient, i felt more confident going over log piles and down hills, etc.

I am pretty darn satisfied

·
Registered
109 Posts
taikuodo said:
They downgraded the brakes to PROMAX? And RAISED the price?

Doesn't make any sense to me...

seems almost pathetic concerning how my (no longer own it) walmart bike has Promax v brakes >_>
One word.....FRAME...:D Also the front derailleur is a downgrade from Acera to Altus..:mad:

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^are you saying they should have given us an $1400 '07 Stumpy as a $600 '08 Rockhopper?

:confused: :D

i looked it up for kicks, and i found everything i'd need to convert to Deore or higher 9 speed including shifters, deraileurs, cassette, and chain for $128. not bad at all i'd be quite happy with that.

But indeed, my '05 rockhopper base had a Deore rear deraileur. :/

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Well.. im just saying, its not really trickling down is it? =D

I mean last years SRAM X-9 became this years X-7 and they didnt charge extra , etc etc.

Anyways, how light is the rockhopper now? I know the 07 was probably around 28 pounds..

·
Registered
25 Posts
i just bought a 07 rockhopper...could have got a 08 but ha i wanted the 07 red color.....u guys mention weight how muhc does my 2007 17" one weigh?

i looked at the trek 4300 and 4500s I'm pretty dang sure this bike is lighter than the treks...?? maybe not sure feels like it

·
Registered
109 Posts
weider1717 said:
i just bought a 07 rockhopper...could have got a 08 but ha i wanted the 07 red color.....u guys mention weight how muhc does my 2007 17" one weigh?

i looked at the trek 4300 and 4500s I'm pretty dang sure this bike is lighter than the treks...?? maybe not sure feels like it
Good choice. :thumbsup: When I bought mine I felt the same thing, comparing the Hopper with the Treks you mentioned the weight difference was quite impressive. Not to mention the fact that the Hopper feels much better to me then the Treks in terms of geometry and it looks better .I did not weigh my bike when I bought it , but I would actually be interested to see what it weighs so if you have a chance put it on a scale ! I would do it myself but after all the upgrades it is pretty impossible now ...:madman:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.