Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
hipneck
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been away from cycling for a while and need a cheap ride. I noticed an 07 XL Rig in the classifieds for a good price. Was it the 07's or 06's that had breakage issues? If this is something I should stay away from I would be looking at a diSSent or Soulcycles Dillinger

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
both the 07 and 06 had the breakage 'issues'. you can tell by looking at the seat tube/top tube junction. on the old style frame the top tube was the same od as it was halfway down the tube. if you ran your seatpost too high, you could crack it there. the next generation paragon frames had the top tube ovalized there. i believe my 07 rig is still going strong after i put quite a few miles on it and jumped it off of everything i could find. if you use a long enough seat post, you should be fine.

edit: to clarify that, i sold my rig, so i dunno if it's still in regular use.

·
never ender
1,314 Posts
John S said:
Ive been away from cycling for a while and need a cheap ride. I noticed an 07 XL Rig in the classifieds for a good price. Was it the 07's or 06's that had breakage issues? If this is something I should stay away from I would be looking at a diSSent or Soulcycles Dillinger
I was in the same boat after my Santa Cruz got stolen back in September. I wound up getting a Rig off of Ebay for six bones. The breakage thing seems to be a real issue, but if you get a good deal on the Rig you can just ride it for a while and then swap the parts to a better frame when you can afford it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
sean salach said:
both the 07 and 06 had the breakage 'issues'. you can tell by looking at the seat tube/top tube junction. on the old style frame the top tube was the same od as it was halfway down the tube. if you ran your seatpost too high, you could crack it there. the next generation paragon frames had the top tube ovalized there. i believe my 07 rig is still going strong after i put quite a few miles on it and jumped it off of everything i could find. if you use a long enough seat post, you should be fine.

edit: to clarify that, i sold my rig, so i dunno if it's still in regular use.
Some of 'em break. Some of 'em don't. Running an extra long seat post won't stop them from breaking. My 140 lb wife has broken an 07 and an 08 Paragon. Also, buying used means you have no warranty if it does break.

·
Cars Are Evil
1,125 Posts
I have an '06 I think. Got it in August '06. Haven't had any issues. I'm down to 215 now, but was heavier. 6'4" so I have a lot of seatpost extension. I've bent a seat but the frame has held up fine.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Going off on a slight tangent here that might still be somewhat relevant to the original post, has anyone noticed a trend in the size of Fisher frames of this vintage that are prone to breaking? My recollection is that the broken frames I've seen posted around here are M or L with the long seat tube extending above the top tube, which the XL doesn't have. Anyone else have any thoughts?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.