Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I missed something.

When did the stock shock supplied with the RFX change from the DHX-C to an RP23 and why was this done?

I'm not trying to stir anything up, just curious as I have one on order.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yeah, what he said.

As I understand it, you can still run a coil. But now I think the damper is a 7 7/8"i2i/2.25" stroke. Someone please correct me on this if I'm wrong. I'm curious as well. If I was to get a new RFX, I'd prefer a coil too. That's one thing the new Turner site is missing, shock dimensions for each particular model:confused: And does anyone know if that ano. is gray, or is it bronze??? Also I'm on a fence over a med. or large, being 5'11". I'm thinking large, as I prefer shorter stems, yet longer distance trailriding/ AM. There's nothing worse than feeling cramped on long climbs with a bike that is too small. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
The RFX is lighter this year and more ride free than xtreme althought it can still take xtreme :D
The shock stroke is longer and leverage ratio is lower on the 07 RFX so air shocks work for it and should suit most people, if you want a coil though just ask.

Large for you Ride On :thumbsup:

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ride On said:
Also I'm on a fence over a med. or large, being 5'11". I'm thinking large, as I prefer shorter stems, yet longer distance trailriding/ AM. There's nothing worse than feeling cramped on long climbs with a bike that is too small. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
I'm in the same boat, height-wise. I'm on a large Flux. Speaking with Chad at Red Barn and Turner I'm going with the large. Give them a call to talk about it.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
dt has said it over and over again the last few months. ride the same size frame all accross the turner line. all 3 of ya are on the right track.

jarett piped in on the anno color yesterday and said the anno guys swear they now have the right color ready for the rfx. looks a little grey now but the famous bronze will be back for production.

if ya ask me, the rp23 is gonna be the perfect fox product for this frame for most riders. well me anyway.

·
long standing member
3,099 Posts
cactuscorn said:
...all 3 of ya are on the right track...
What if I break my classic RFX (not likely) and need to crash replace it with an '07? At 5' 10.5" should I get the medium or large? (Talk about ridiculous hypotheticals).

And does anyone know if the DHX coil is an option on the '07 and/or if there is an upcharge?

·
12,942 Posts
PCinSC said:
And does anyone know if the DHX coil is an option on the '07 and/or if there is an upcharge?
id assume yes on both. maybe use the new turner contact page and ask jarett then tell us how it went.

break a rfxc???? well maybe you could ya big lug.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Rp23

The first Demo Day, in the first 15mins the gate was open Krispi and Scott showed up and after about 20 seconds of checking over the new RFX Krispi asked "did not test the RP23 on it" I had not, but over the next couple months more and more riders asked or demanded a switch from DHX Air, first and foremost was the constant challenge that riders are having with getting full perfomance out of it, where as the RP is set sag and ride so to speak. So after the show we got a test shock and we feel it was the way to go also.
Yes a coil will still work, and Fox has a 7.875 x 2.25 that they stock in the aftermarket dept. as well as Avy and CC having offerings. The RP is really good, just as it is on the other models.

a large is a large is a large etc. I have tried very hard to make sure that each increment of travel has the total bike geo adjusted for it's use. Ride On, your impression is right on, you want short stems and long rides. Get a large.

DT

·
Registered
163 Posts
DT

When will the first production run of RFX be available...I want one black anodized and need to know when to purchase from the shop so you guys can pull a frame out of the run and anodize it for me. Thanks

·
Registered
167 Posts
trikobe said:
DT

When will the first production run of RFX be available...I want one black anodized and need to know when to purchase from the shop so you guys can pull a frame out of the run and anodize it for me. Thanks
Same here!!!
Black Ano Please!!!!

If and when I can get a black Ano (large) I will sell my Grey Ano 2006 frame with only 4 rides on it and as new for 1000$ to somebody here, so I can buy the 2007.

At 234# I did not like the feel with the ratio issue. I have played with my DHX settings and got it to feel alright, but it never felt real good.

I think the 2007 will fix this, although I now have dropped 32# and weigh 202# so this is probably not as bad anymore. I plan on getting down to 185# at which the 06 will probably be awesome, butI still want an 07:) So anybody want a like new Ano Grey 06 frame for $1000?....

Attachments

·
12,942 Posts
im told the custom anno option is not a option at all. try as i might, theres now way currently to get anything but custom pc. the vendor cant deal with it, not turner.

·
Registered
163 Posts
According to Jarrett....

Well, according to Jarret, that option is still available. Got this email from him Jan 22 in which he said:

"07 RFX will be available this Spring. The two ano colors will be Bronze and
Green. We can do a custom ano color, here are the rules.
1) Up charge of $200.00
2) It is considered your personal frame. Since we will only be sending one
frame through ano for you, if anything happens to the frame i.e. scratch,
ano run, discoloration, it is a "as is" purchase.
3) Deposit required from your local dealer."

Thank you

Jarett
[email protected]
www.Turnerbikes.com
ph.951.677.1711
fx.951.677.1373

The up charge I can dig. But comment 2 really got me scratching my head. If I order a custom anodize color, which is not custom at all since they do black anno on the SPOT, which is the color I want, that the outcome will be as is. Man, something is wrong with that. If I pay for an RFX, then pay extra for the anno, I think I should be guaranteed a nice annodizing job. Not my fault if the anno guys jack it up, which is what has been holding up the sultans from what I hear. Those guys who pre ordered the sultans aren't getting an as is frame. It's not like I'm asking for some funky color...it's black which they can do in the same run as the spots. What do you guys think of this?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Trikobe

Yes, only recently have we started to try one off ano jobs on a trial basis. The company that does our ano finish does stuff for the aero space community, but ano is not a perfect process. When running a batch of frames, all the same type and size, we can inspect each ano job and pull the ones that have a problem in the finish. This isn't always the fault of the anodizer, but can happen at the multiple vendors before it gets to ano. Due to a one off frame job taking extra time, resources, and running the process alone; it is not possible to guarantee that your frame won't come back without any issues as it will be the one and only.

Jratt

·
Registered
161 Posts
What about powdercoat?

I would like to assume, that "one off" rule doesn't apply to the custom powder coat option?? And if i'm going powdercoat, is there going to be an upcharge? Would seem logical that the powder coat option shouldn't cost anymore than the standard ano. Possibly less$$??;)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Okay, I just checked out the website and it states that an upcharge applies for custom powdercoat colors. Don't know how much? It appears all 07 models across the board have two choices of ano. All being different. I wonder how this was decided? I guess it would make sense to go with a standard ano. color. Hopefully the green grows on me, I don't think I'm a fan of the bronze. I'm definetely not into a $200 upcharge if the finish is not promised to be perfect quality. Maybe powdercoat, if finish quality won't be compromised. But not for 200 clams.:eekster:

·
Banned
4,278 Posts
Black Ano

Correct me if I'm wrong, but black ano is probably the least likely color to screw up--or so I have heard . . .

hey Jratt, let me know if your ano guys mess up any xl RFX's . . . :smilewinkgrin: :smilewinkgrin: :smilewinkgrin: :smilewinkgrin: :smilewinkgrin:

·
involuntary dismounter
2,391 Posts
Random Drivel said:
hey Jratt, let me know if your ano guys mess up any xl RFX's . . . :smilewinkgrin: :smilewinkgrin: :smilewinkgrin: :smilewinkgrin: :smilewinkgrin:
um...i don't think so...:nono: i believe the rule is...ladies first! :D (and tomboys count in that rule! :p)

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Seems like the Turner crew is just trying to satisfy everyone yet still be upfront about the reality of the situation as far as the ano goes.

I would like to say though that if the custom ano doesn't come out right or if there's a problem with the frame I would imagine based off Turner's CS history that something would/could be worked out? Either way at least they are being upfront and honest about the situation, personally I would stay away from custom ano though after what Jarett is saying here(read between the lines perhaps?:) ). Between the stock ano colors and the custom pc colors you really are covered, they are meant to be ridden right?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.