Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to upgrade the fork on my Heckler (currently an 04 Z1FR, 125 mm w/ETA). I'm looking for more travel but need to retain the ETA feature for the climbs. I also need a 20 mm axle fork so I can finally use the new DeeTrax wheelset I purchased last year. I was leaning toward the 66 RC2 w/ETA but I noticed that the travel has increased to 180 mm for 07. I'm wondering if that might be a bit too much fork...I don't want the front end to get too tall and I'm a bit wary about having the handling of the bike change significantly.
Anyone riding a Heckler with a 180 mm 66, or a different similar travel fork? I'd like to hear some first hand experiences with a long travel fork on the Heckler.
TIA

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
I do think the Heckler works great with a 150mm fork, but it sure seems like sharp handling and climbing quality would suffer a bit with these 170-180mm forks. One of the guys at the shop has a 6" (150mm) Flick Plus on his Heckler, and it retained its sharp handling manners. I'm a long travel fork whore myself, but the Heckler's geometry sure seems like it will take a hit when you pair up 5" or 5.5" of rear travel with over 6.5" of front travel. You see a few Hecklers posted on here with 160mm forks like the Fox 36 series, but even those seem a little tall.

·
Registered
9,521 Posts
My buddy ran a 150mm Z1 Light (538mm a-c)on his Heckler then went to a 150mm 66rc (575mm a-c). He said the handling was still acceptable. I have 150mm Z1 and am either going to a 36rc or 66sl. I'd think the Z1 or 36 makes a great trail fork and the 66 if you are doing more FR.

·
Freeriding Feline
2,548 Posts
BC Heckler:

I ran a 2006 66RC2X on a 2004 heckler for about a month. The fork has 170mm of travel. I found it too tall for the front end. I was washing out a lot and having problems on tight switchbacks.
My problem solver? Sold the Heckler frame and I bought a 6.6.
Don't worry though, I still own Santa Cruz!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.