Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
after a week i figured i would get some response from the fellow marin owners. I going to guess most people on the marin thread ride Xc mostly. Oh we'll see you at the bottom

·
Yes, that's fonetic
3,893 Posts
skin6061 said:
after a week i figured i would get some response from the fellow marin owners. I going to guess most people on the marin thread ride Xc mostly. Oh we'll see you at the bottom
If you'd asked some sort of a question you'd probably have gotten a response.
What'd you want, everyone to ooh and aah at your bike? It's a nice bike and all (I'd love to have one myself) but if you want buttkissing try the FR/DH forum.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol that was funny, not looking for buttkissing, i get enough of that here at work. I quess i was looking to findout if anyone else has a quake setup for dh also. Maybe i should have said that a week ago huh?

So far the bike rides great, i haven't had the chance to take it anywhere really but i will be taking it to our local dh trail here in a few weeks to properly break the bike in.

·
mmm bacon
196 Posts
If you don't have something nice to say...

If you'd asked some sort of a question you'd probably have gotten a response.
What'd you want, everyone to ooh and aah at your bike? It's a nice bike and all (I'd love to have one myself) but if you want buttkissing try the FR/DH forum.

A weaksauce statement, whodaphuck, yup the DH/FR would get an ooh and ahh and maybe an I'd love to have one myself statement but not a secondhand one like you left and probably a few questions about the bike the rider and where you ride usually a segway to more positive responses. Actually I tend to post in the DH/FR forum, which is probably why I took such offense, I've heard great things about the bike specifically the suspension. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No the rear travel is still 6.8. The bikes suspension works so well that it doesn't feel like 6.8 but more like a 8" of travel. ive taken it a few times to the local dh trail and it has peformed flawless. You won't be dissapointed if you get one

·
Registered
54 Posts
also, how does the low bottom bracket do for rocks and such? do you hit pedals regularly?

I test rode one and it felt awesome and tight and a ton better than my bike, but i didnt have much time on it.

thanks for the help!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
honestly i have only hit the bb once and that was when a rock came up and hit it. The bb islow enough for a nice slack head angle but tall enough not to smash it on everything. I only had one ride on the bike before i bought mine. I changed the fork and rear shock and have loved it even more. you won't be dissapointed if you get it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
thanks for the help. im really considering this bike now.

also, do you tend to switch between the bb height settings? (i saw it in the specs)

and how much did you get the bike for?

thanks for everything.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rockHopper09 said:
thanks for the help. im really considering this bike now.

also, do you tend to switch between the bb height settings? (i saw it in the specs)

thanks for everything.
I changed the BB height to the lowest setting once i got the bike, if you do get the bike and do change the bb be careful and don't over tighten the bolt and snap it like it did. I went and got another bolt at the hardware store. I just overly tightened it my fault and when i called marin and told them they happily sent me a new bolt. I can't and won't mention what i paid for the bike becouse i work at a bike shop part time and was able to buy the bike with my emplyee purchase discount.

·
Registered
150 Posts
rockHopper09 said:
also, how does the low bottom bracket do for rocks and such? do you hit pedals regularly?

also, do you tend to switch between the bb height settings? (i saw it in the specs)!

You wont have problems with BB height on Quake... it is low, but not low enough to give you any trouble (while riding normally). I've hit it once or twice, but those were extreme riding conditions and my fault for riding stupidly, really. :D

My Quake 7.2 is now four months old, and I've never changed BB height settings... there is simply no need for that (headangle with 180mm fork is about 65°, and that is oke for light DH/DH/FR bike). Maybe higher BB setting would be OK for 200mm travel fork, but for 160-180mm forks lower BB setup is quite enough.

Regarding the price paid for Quake... I'm in same situation like the skin6061 - I work in bike shop/service (here in Croatia) and got a good discount for bike... so I can't really talk about that. :aureola:

If you are considering buying this bike, it has my recommendation... it's plush (on DH track it acts like 200mm travel DH bike), it's maneuverable, it can be build strong as hell or relatively light - it's your choice.

Cheers!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yeah, I'm also drooling on Tara's... :arf: I have one Wolf Ridge '07 left in my shop, size large... just perfect for me... :ihih: and it's so plush... and good looking... and special... and... argggh... urghhh... *slap* ...bad thoughts! Bad thoughts gremlyn! :devil: :aureola:

Damn, I must consult my financial advisor (girlfriend)... maybe if I present it as a gift to her... hmmm. :idea: :winker:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi there, I know it is a bit late for this post, but I am really interested in the dual crown set up on quake. I have one 7.3 and was thinking about a DC. How does the bike behave? Turning? Lifting the front?
I do mostly FR and, unfortunatelly, have to climb back. is it feasible with DC?
I am after a Boxxer WC 08; I know about them not being very stiff, but the weight is just fantastic.

Many thanks

·
Registered
332 Posts
peter pan said:
Hi there, I know it is a bit late for this post, but I am really interested in the dual crown set up on quake. I have one 7.3 and was thinking about a DC. How does the bike behave? Turning? Lifting the front?
I do mostly FR and, unfortunatelly, have to climb back. is it feasible with DC?
I am after a Boxxer WC 08; I know about them not being very stiff, but the weight is just fantastic.

Many thanks
I've just put an 07 Marzocchi 888 SL ATA on mine and love it. The turning circle is compromised but aprt from that I've not noticed any downside. Geometry wise, i wouldn't have thought it's that far off a 180mm SC, DC axle to crown lengths tend to be close to 180mm SC A2Cs anyway. If you go for something like the SL ATA then you can knock it down to 160mm for the climb back up (and being air sprung they are light as hell).

I had a 160mm 66 RCV on previously and there is no way i'd go back to that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.