Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
pb2
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I built my 6.6 up at Christmas money was tight (always is but hey) so I threw a pair of Pikes on it and to be fair its a decent combo because most of my riding in the UK is very varied and I don't do big air, unless something goes wrong :eek:

I now want to trade up to either the 160 mm Lyrics or 160mm Talas.and my question is all about how the increased length will affect the geometry.

The Lyric I would choose would be the 2 step thats 160mm normal height and 115mm for climbing and the Talas is a 3 step unit at 160mm-140mm-120mm. I can see me using the 120mm for climbing but I am not that sure where I would use the 140mm (maybe fast twisting single track?)

My headset is the ever popular Cane Creek XC double flush.

What do you reckon the actual head angle will be at 160mm and 115/120mm ?

Thanks in advance PB

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,442 Posts
How did you fit 2 pikes on your intense?

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,442 Posts
blackagness said:
I don't know why that drives me crazy!
How many "forks" are on your bike? :D

Well, he's torn between the lyrics or talass, but there are some other good forks out there that should be considered. The marzocchi 66 SLs have adjustable travel, so if he's looking for a particular amount, like 160mms, that would be a good ideas as well. The marzocchi 66 light ETAs may have 10mms more travels, but they have ETAs so you can locks them down at about 2 inches or so, which makes climbing a lot easiers. One thing about the talass, they are very "linear", so they may tend to dive more than he wants, and the user can't easily adjust the progressiveness amounts, unlike on the marzocchis forks, where you can.

·
pb2
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And the English reckon the Americans don't get or do irony ! Clearly they have not met Jayem and before you nuke me I know you were only messing. At this point I am more focussed on how much the standard 68.5 degree head angle will slacken by adding another 10mm to the length.

Plus I am hoping the 07 Talas has sorted out the small bump problem, ditto brake dive

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,442 Posts
yespsb said:
Plus I am hoping the 07 Talas has sorted out the small bump problem, ditto brake dive
It's the same fork with 10mm more travel.

It's still going to dive, the name is "linear air spring", and it's also integral to how the travel is adjusted. That's an unfortunate side effect. Even if it "was" sorted out, they are not making it adjustable, so it's take it or leave it. A less agressive rider would need it more linear, and a more agressive rider would need it more progressive. Fox doesn't design their forks to be adjustable for this..yet.

·
pb2
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Jayem, so what about the new three position travel adjustment or the new FIT cartridge damper, you need to read up and step up ;-}

·
The Ancient One
1,573 Posts
Jayem said:
How many "forks" are on your bike? :D
Is this the first time you've noticed that the English use the plural form? Just like they say "maths" where we say "math".

As for the two fork choices, obviously I haven't ridden either yet, but from my experience with the shorter TALAS and the Revelation and Pike, I would say go for the Lyric.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,442 Posts
Steve from JH said:
Is this the first time you've noticed that the English use the plural form? Just like they say "maths" where we say "math".
We're not just talking about two forks, he said a "pair of pikes". That's at least four forks!!!:thumbsup:

·
pb2
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Darren good to see you posting on here, I have just ebayed my old Spesh Enduro Pro and the only thing I will miss about it will be the Pushed Fox RL shock, that was one the few upgrades where you got off the bike and you just knew your money had been well spent, respect to you.

Darren given the straight choice between an 07 36 Talas RC2 and the Lyric which way would go - my riding is a mix of aggressive XC and all mountain, I weigh in kitted up at circa 200lbs.

Oh and yes we are big on plurals (pun intended), the phrase "you do the math" just sounds plan strange to any English ear but its no big deal either way around.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts