Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got done installing a 07 Lefty Carbon 110SL on my SIR 9

The fork weight is 2.7lbs with lock out. The front wheel is a Cannondale hub with a Stans 355 rim. I have not yet weighed the bike since the conversion

I used a Project 321 conversion kit (Jake Thank You)

It took a little extra work with the XL Niner frame, machining on the king head set and trimming head tube. The conversion would be easier on a medium or small frame.

I can't wait tell Saturday for a full test ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
473 Posts
Very nice!! The Project 321 adapter is awesome. The Lefty is incredible. I have the Lefty Carbon Max limited to 110mm on my Moots 29 YBB.

I never really considered shortening the head tube to accommodate the Lefty. Some Questions: How much did you have to take off? Did you have to take a bit off both ends? What type of saw did you use and did you somehow make a jig or adapter to put the frame in a vice/chopsaw, or did you just "wing it" with a hack saw?

Thanks - Rob

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I never really considered shortening the head tube to accommodate the Lefty. Some Questions: How much did you have to take off? Did you have to take a bit off both ends? What type of saw did you use and did you somehow make a jig or adapter to put the frame in a vice/chopsaw, or did you just "wing it" with a hack saw?

I cut 5mm off in the band saw and then trimmed 2mm off with a head tube cutter all off of the lower part of the tube. I also took another 5.5 mm out of the King Head set stack height.

The project 321 kit is a great kit for this job. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
That's quite a conversion Jeff, looks very clean. Do you have a pic of the mod'ed headset cap?
- I just might have to consider a Lefty for my RIP9... :cornut:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.