Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm struggling with a brake noise issue with my new juicy 7 brakes. I have 185mm juicy 7 brakes front and rear on my bike. The rear is an 06 brake with the polygon style rotor and the front is an 07 brake with the new generation 2 clean sweep rotor. Under light to moderate braking the clean sweep rotor makes a lot of noise. It is a sort of squealing/howling resonance that is loud! As in wake the dead loud! I believe this issue is related to the clean sweep rotor because the I tried swapping the rotors front the rear and the noise moved with the rotor. I've tried cleaning the rotor with alcohol and scuffing the rotor and pads with sandpaper to no avail. I've also experimented with putting spacers under the caliper to shift the brake pads slightly relative to the rotor, also without success.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey mike, funny i have the exact same problem with the clean sweep rotor. I found the best way is to try and use the brake as much as possible and found spraying muc off or similar on the disc then washing off with water to reduce noise aswell. good luck!"

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I have found that if I use the brakes hard at the top of a hill I can get the noise to go away for the remainder of the descent, but generally the noise will be back at the start of the next downhill section.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
God, please...no.

Please tell me these are isolated incidents. I have a bike on order with '07 J7's and was really hoping that the switch to a clean sweep type rotor was going to clear up the howling issues.

Bob

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Are the pads grabbing at the rotor arms? If not, try getting rid of the CPS washers, replace them with regular washers. For some reason, people can't get the calipers square when using CPS washers, so the pads aren't hitting the rotors evenly.

Do you have the black backed or gold backed pads?

·
Adobo Lover
985 Posts
I went on my first ride with my 07 Juicy's on Sunday. I'm still in the bedding stage of my brakes. I was waiting for the noise to come every time I did a creek crossing or hit a muddy patch. Every once in a while they gave me a slight noise but nothing very consistent and it lasted a second or two. I got a ping noise twice. I got a slight noise on the side walk when I went in to get my front rebled at the Lbs. Definitely impressed with the power of these brakes. I could hear another rider in the groups juicy 7s squeeling though!!!! During the ride, I was hoping that it didn't happen to me.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Same problem, juicy sevens 2007, stock on a trance 0, heaps of squealing. Done about 500 kms so far and was hoping that it would go away. Does seem to dissappear for a while during hard long braking but seems to come back after a while. Starting to get concerned, especially since others seem to be having same problem.

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
I have a set of Juicy's and the noise sounded like a turkey gobbling. My lbs could not make it stop nor could I. I ordered a set of EBC green compound brake pads and voila, no more noise, great modulation and one fingered braking. Cheap fix ($25.00 pads and shipping) from an online retailer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.