Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy new year to all!
I have run across an interesting problem with my HEckler. I own an 07 model with 143mm rear travel and a DHX5 Coil on it. I looked the coil weight up the other day on MOJO and according to the Spring Calculator they recommended a 550lbs weight coil. That is 200 more than my current stock model. I weigh 74 kg (165lbs) and ride rough rocky terrain with medium drops but nothing huge (5feet). So far I havent managed to bottom out my suspension.
I swapped the spring to the proposed weight at my LBS and found it to be way too firm. If I was doing drops all the time I may have left it at that but the sag would be way off. I have placed a 450 lbs coil now to try for a few days and it feels O.K. with hardly any pre-load.
Anyone can give me some advice on this?

Thanx in advance.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I typed in 5.62" of travel, shock stroke of 2.25" and rider weight of 165 lbs and it calculates a 444lb spring. You must have mis-typed something?
I ride an 04 Heckler with 07 DHX5 Coil and I run a 350 lb spring (I weigh 170lbs). I get about 20% sag with maybe 1 1/2 turn of pre-load. Perfect for my riding, never bottoms. If I was freeriding I'd might go with a 450 at most!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
try the tftuned spring calc...I think it is way more accurate. The MOJO one a fair bit off for me on three seperate bikes with three different types of suspension (could be because he (mojo) has a very different and destinct way he sets up shocks than the 'norm') ...the TFTuned one has always been close for me.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Sounds like you were running the Santa Cruz recommended spring for your weight and it was working fine, if you were not bottoming it out than why would you change it to a heavier spring? I am not familiar with the Mojo calculator but many don't take leverage ratios and individual bike designs into their calculations, sometimes the calculators get lucky and are right but often they are wrong. Two different model bikes with the same suspension travel can require very different spring rates for the same weight rider depending on the suspension designs of the two bikes.

Sounds like you have the previous generation Heckler which Santa Cruz recommends a 300-350lb spring for a 160-180lb rider. The Santa Cruz recommendation does not always be exact for everyone but should get you in the range.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts