Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Veni Vidi Vici
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading some good reviews for the Fox Talas 32 07, I decided to jump the gun last saturday, and set it up for Sunday ride... I came from Marz AM SL and loved it, my marz was dialed at 135mm, occasionally at 140mm. What I was very eager to attain and what I believe was missing with my AM SL is the adjustability on the fly... so I can enjoy the full potential of my ML for climbs and descents with equal satisfaction.

In that note, I would like to share my first experience riding my ML with the talas 07... it is indeed overwhelming.. and I was more than satisfied. Climbing my ML with the fork set up at 120, It was just awesome:thumbsup: My ML climbed faster than ever, the front wheel sticked on the ground.... On technical single track I tuned it in to 140mm and it is more compliant with small and medium bumps with rocks and stems.. again there was an improvement in my ride and my ML was again faster in this area.... For descents on gnarly rocky fireroads it equalled the performance of my AM SL...

To sum up my experience, Fox Talas 07 is perfect for my ML :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
blackagness said:
And the 07 seems to suit the bike even better. It is the fork the bike was designed for.
Yeah... the travel of an AM1 and the weight of a Revelation... dang, that's sweet...

How was the stiffness fer ya BL?

Some folks have talked about the 32mm Fox chassis to be a bit flexy at 130mm... what you think of the 140mm Fox?

·
ಠ_ಠ
3,190 Posts
barelylegal said:
In that note, I would like to share my first experience riding my ML with the talas 07... it is indeed overwhelming.. and I was more than satisfied. Climbing my ML with the fork set up at 120, It was just awesome:thumbsup: My ML climbed faster than ever, the front wheel sticked on the ground....
What is the difference in A-C going from the Marz @ 135mm to a Fox @ 120mm? Probably about an inch I'd guess... yea, that's a pretty big change.

I like to try and keep my Pike's travel setting at 127mm (505) A-C for everything, but on long-ass climbs sometimes I can't resist dropping the travel. It feels so damn good to drop it all the way down to 110mm. By the way, 110mm on the Pike is the same A-C as 118mm on my old Talas so it's still really not that low. The lower front end and steeper angles allow me to stay seated in the middle of my saddle and just worry about pedaling. I just let the MotoLite sort out the rest.

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
I never found my TALAS 130mm to be flexy, just for the record.

I run my AMZ1 at btween 130-140mm, and I've all but stopped using the ETA because when ever I engage it, it feels like I'm dragging something. Even to the point to which it seems to climb better at full travel. :confused:

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
blackagness said:
Thanks, man!! :thumbsup:

blackagness said:
I run my AMZ1 at btween 130-140mm, and I've all but stopped using the ETA because when ever I engage it, it feels like I'm dragging something. Even to the point to which it seems to climb better at full travel. :confused:
Yeah... when you have the ETA engaged it feels weird... kinda of slow steering and exactly that... it feels like you're pushing a brick or dragging something with the front wheel.

There was a discussion on the shock's board a while ago about it...

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Congrats on the new fork Bazza !~! It's satisfying when you can find the fork that fits your needs.

barelylegal said:
After reading some good reviews for the Fox Talas 32 07, I decided to jump the gun last saturday, and set it up for Sunday ride... I came from Marz AM SL and loved it, my marz was dialed at 135mm, occasionally at 140mm. What I was very eager to attain and what I believe was missing with my AM SL is the adjustability on the fly... so I can enjoy the full potential of my ML for climbs and descents with equal satisfaction.

In that note, I would like to share my first experience riding my ML with the talas 07... it is indeed overwhelming.. and I was more than satisfied. Climbing my ML with the fork set up at 120, It was just awesome:thumbsup: My ML climbed faster than ever, the front wheel sticked on the ground.... On technical single track I tuned it in to 140mm and it is more compliant with small and medium bumps with rocks and stems.. again there was an improvement in my ride and my ML was again faster in this area.... For descents on gnarly rocky fireroads it equalled the performance of my AM SL...

To sum up my experience, Fox Talas 07 is perfect for my ML :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Veni Vidi Vici
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
blackagness said:
Thanks for the comparison BL! I loved my 05 TALAS 130.

And the 07 seems to suit the bike even better. It is the fork the bike was designed for.
Your welcome BA:thumbsup: I really think 07 talas is a perfect fit with the ML ( not only because I want to justify the amount I poured for my bike in the start of 2007:devil: )

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Warp said:
Yeah... the travel of an AM1 and the weight of a Revelation... dang, that's sweet...

How was the stiffness fer ya BL?

Some folks have talked about the 32mm Fox chassis to be a bit flexy at 130mm... what you think of the 140mm Fox?
Warp,

I also have the '07 Talas on my ML and am loving the instant on the fly adjustability. As far as stiffness, I feel it is great, and a good improvement over the older chassis. When you really look at the two versions side by side you can see that the new arch is substantially thicker, the dropouts have a fair amount more material surrounding the clamping surface and it looks to me like the sliders are a bit bigger in diameter, but that may be my imagination. The point is, overall, there has been some subtle "beef" added to the chassis and the RLC still came in at 4.10 lb uncut. I have come to humbly understand that there are many different tools for different jobs but this fork fits my ML like no other--low A-C for razor sharp handling, low weight, intant travel adjust, and 5.5" when I need it!

·
Registered
999 Posts
The TALAS is one of my all time favorite forks. I just wished the 07 would have had a 130mm setting to match the rear travel. I like the 06 TALAS - I actually like the ability to adjust the travel at 3mm increments. However, no one has mentioned they feel the ML feels unbalanced in the 120 or 140 mode on the 07 TALAS.

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
JTBAZ said:
The TALAS is one of my all time favorite forks. I just wished the 07 would have had a 130mm setting to match the rear travel. I like the 06 TALAS - I actually like the ability to adjust the travel at 3mm increments. However, no one has mentioned they feel the ML feels unbalanced in the 120 or 140 mode on the 07 TALAS.
I prefered the 3mm increments as well, but I love the idea of the 140mm setting.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Warp said:
Yeah... when you have the ETA engaged it feels weird... kinda of slow steering and exactly that... it feels like you're pushing a brick or dragging something with the front wheel.

There was a discussion on the shock's board a while ago about it...
Why is it so, geometry and positioning ?~? All my previous travel adjust forks were the same. It's the primary reason I have adapted to climbing with what I've got and stopped changing travel on the trail.

·
Veni Vidi Vici
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
blackagness said:

The 07 has 3 adjustments 100mm, 120mm,140mm.... I have tried all of them, but have not noticed any drag, I will be riding it again on Saturday and I will be keen to observe if there is any sort of drag.

·
sit! stay!
1,125 Posts
i recently got the 07 TALAS also... i really like the 140 mm setting... i ride a lot of tight, twisty, rooty, rocky single track with lots of short steeps and haven't notoced a geometry penalty at all... anyway, the fork absorbs big and small hits equally well...

this fork has had a very strange effect of my riding though that has created some health concerns... i have actually been stopping and riding some of the smaller dirt and ramp jumps set up by the smooth helmeted teenagers... i've even been looping back and repeating... this has resulted in some rather large bruises (hit a small tree after a good landing)... very troubling:D

·
Registered
897 Posts
The 140mm setting feels totally balanced on the Motolite. In fact I wish there was another 5 to 10 more millimeters of travel. I'm not sure but I would guess that the AC measurement for the Talas is smaller than the Marz AM's that people are raving about.

Chris

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.