Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A short summary on the 07 Fox Float.

This new 07 Fox32 140mm Float is the third fork on my 5spot and definitely is the best so far. First was a 03 Z1, 2nd a 05 Talas but the axel to crown length was too short except it was great while climbing. After just two rides, I was so impress how it handle on chunky rock gardens and never a harsh feeling on the small rock hits either. A definitely buttery smooth compression fork that put some revived life in my old 5pot. I glad I waited for this fork instead of choosing a Pike.

Attachments

·
Well Biked
1,959 Posts
Nice fork! I have an 06 Vanilla myself. Wish they updated it last year! What's new with the line-up this year beside the extra travel?. It looks like the bridge is nicer, and hopefully the whole fork is stiffer.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
stiff

Did you notice the stiffness gained with the new bridge? How is the handling, it seems that you like it slowed down a bit from the original spec of 501mm. What is the BB height?

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
I'll jump in here, though I went with the 140 Vanilla instead of the Float. For me, it's the perfect mate to Spotty. A little longer than the old Talas (which blew in many ways, besides being too short for my tastes), and a little shorter than the Sherman Firefly 135 or Marz AM1.

To me, it feels very noticably stiffer than my old 125 Talas, but part of that may just be that it is also more supple, so doesn't pinball down the trail. Nope, it isn't quite as buttery as the AM1, but it doesn't do the clickety-clickety over roots/rock gardens either, and the AM1 was just too tall for the Spot, at least to me.

It isn't as buttery as the Van 36 on my RFX either, but I don't think it's supposed to be, nor would I want that level of squishiness on my "racebike". A little firmer, snappier feel is what I wanted, and seems to be what I got.

Now if it just had that sweet, top-mounted compression adjuster from the AM1, it really would be perfect!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The new bridge is a bit beefier so are the dropouts. The axel to crown length is 533mm and BB is 325mm (measure from the ground to the outside BB surface, not the direct middle point)

·
bike weenie
589 Posts
I also recently went with the '07 float on a spot, pushed, and am liking it so far.

Interestingly it only weighed .1 lb less than the prior year vanilla, so they definitely added some material.

Seems stiffer to me, but I'm not the best judge of that, since I had no issues with the prior generation of 130mm forks.

·
Well Biked
1,959 Posts
don't know where fox is going these days

It looks as though they could have beefed it up a bit more, and still been one of the lightest out there. Then they wouldn't need a red sticker to let you know its new. Does the performance and dampening seem improved?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts