Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, I just signed up to this forum but I have learned a lot by just reading so now its time for me to ask the questions. So here we go... I am wanting to get in to mountain biking and dont really have that much to spend. I am able to get a slightly used 08 Fisher Tassajara with all stock components for $500 or a used 07 Fisher Piranha that was bought in 08 and only used that summer for $225. It to is all stock components. I have heard a lot of good things about the Tassajara and Piranha but which would you all seasoned riders out there recomend I get? Any info would help out a lot! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
$500 is a good deal for the tass! if it's in decent shape, go for it. do you know the guy you're buying it from? i'm always a little hesitant to buy a used bike as there may be issues i'm not familiar with.

regardless, enjoy- they are both decent bikes and they can get you out on the trails so you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Another one for the Tass. It has better components all around, and at $500 it sounds like a steal. If you're buying from someone in your area, see if you can take a look at the bike, and maybe take it out for a ride. As you're riding, try shifting through all the gears to see if there are any problems in the shifting. The response should be smooth and near immediate, unless you're pedaling up hill (not the best time to shift anyway). Hit the brakes pretty hard throughout the ride to see how the stopping power is, though try not to through yourself over the bars! Try to take it on a trail. If you can't, make sure to hit some bumps or rough patches to see how the fork works. And make sure to inspect the frame for damage. Small dings and paint chips are common and not really a problem unless you're OCD, but if you see deep dents, creases, or cracks, the frame is no good.
If you don't trust yourself to do a good job, see if the seller will either let you take it to a shop, or will go with you. Some shops will give it a once over for free, and since they're supposed to be trained bike mechanics, they may have a better chance of finding problems than you. Just my $.02.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.