Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Purveyor of Fine 29erness
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Wheel

And as promied, here is the Paragon.
Besides the bright red paint, the only other changes are a new Bontrager flat bar, that has some serious back sweep, and the brakes have been down spec'd to Juicy 5s.

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim

I stuffed the rear wheel from another one of my bikes in there to show the tire clearance. The rim is a Delgado, the tire an Exiwolf.
As you can see it's toight, like a toiger.

Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Fender Bicycle accessory

And here are some glamour shots

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Wheel

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel

·
Registered
81 Posts
After years (yes literally) and a couple of financial down falls and bad luck that has previosuly prohibited me from purchasing my 29er, I ordered my 2007 Paragon yesterday. I have asked advice of so many on this board regarding bike fit and if the top tube would be long enough for my long torso. After sitting on a Trek with a similar length top tube (slightly shorter even) and a 120mm stem (which I would put on the Fisher) I am more confident that it will fit far better than I previously thought. I went ahead and ordered it and the dealer stated that I could ride it a little to determine if it will indeed fit, if not, no purchase necessary. Can't loose in my book. I am psyched!

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Race Lite Big Sweep

The Monkey said:
...the only other changes are a new Bontrager flat bar, that has some serious back sweep...
That's the Race Lite Big Sweep. I have one on the proto Race Day and it's pretty nice although a little narrow for my tastes. It feels good on a geared bike but I would want wider on my SS. It's 12 degree sweep by 640mm wide.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Thanks for the scoop!

Large amsses need to be warmed up slowly. The 12º bar seems perfect for the job. wide enough for gears IMO, my 11º Salsa on the weightweenie racer is 625mm. Just put Cork grips on it with closed ands, and it's 660mm :)

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Just curious

How about the paint job? Does it have any pearl clear coat that gives it a different hue, like some of last years ('06) models had?

Also, is there any evidence that the seat tube area has been modified? Lots of failures in that area from '06 models. Some posted here with that issue.

Thanks for that tire clearance, ( or lack there of) shot. Looks like a no go on an Exi mounted on a Delgado Disc!

·
Pit Bull lover
72 Posts
cobia?

do you know what color the 07 cobia will be?

·
415 Posts
Why in the heck is there less tire clearance on this frame than there has been on past models? My 2005 (if UPS ever finds it) fit an exi with a delgao rim just fine.

Also, the red is an improvement on the yellow but I'm not digging the white fork.

·
Purveyor of Fine 29erness
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Responses to the above questions:
It is bright red, with no metal flake to it a all. It looks nothing like the the pearl orange of the 06 X-Cal.
As for seat tube mods, it could be that the seat tube is thicker, but initial visual inspection reveals no sign of any redesign.

As for the 07 Cobia, it will look exactly the same. The Cobia and Rig carry through with no changes, from what I have been told.
G

·
Registered
29 Posts
Here are a few pictures of my '06 Paragon...wonder if I'll get an '07 warranty replacement. Anyone experienced with the wait time on a GF replacement frame? As dorky as it might look, I'm thinking about putting on a Thudbuster; not only to save the seat tube, but I had one on my 26er hardtail and actually liked it a lot. I did have my XL Paragon down to 25 lbs. and hate to put on that boat anchor of a seatpost, but if it improves the experience, what's a few ounces??

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
wow thats a sweet ride you got. i got an 05 frame from warrenty b/c it had a trek head badge on the front and the disc tabs in rear were missaligned
those big sweep bars are real nice ive got those on my ride also, i prefer them a lil narrower for a more twitchy feel. but sweet ride none the less. are those juicy 5's? or new color for the 7's

·
Registered
29 Posts
They're the Juicy 7's that came stock on the '06 model. I just got the bars (Monkeylites) and got them installed the day after the seat tube broke, so I haven't had a chance to try them. I've been kinda schizo about bars...traded the stock Bontrager's out for FSA K-Force carbon flat bars for a little while and then decided I probably liked risers with some sweep better. Can't wait to get my new frame to try out the new cockpit set up.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yup. My 07 Paragon arrived yesterday. Went to the shop to look in the box. I like the color (especially since the team race kit may have some red next year). I didn't pull the bike completly out but noticed the white reba with a blue crown and the Juicy 5 downgrade. According to SRAM's web site, Juicy 5 is largely the same but minus Pad Contact Point Adjustment. We'll see if the avid gets pulled in favor of another setup. X0 upgrades ready to be put on. Maybe a King/Stans Hoop upgrade if I like the bike.

This will be my first 29er purchase. See if it displaces the Scalpel completely or not.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Believe it or not, when I took that picture I was thinking someone was gonna comment on that neglected lawn...weekends were made for riding and then drinking beer by the pool.
I put the Geax Revert 44's back on my cross bike and that'll be my trail bike for a while, I guess. I still might take you up on the offer, though (Leviathan??:) ).

·
ol'guy who says hi &waves
2,546 Posts
R. Fink...... Anyone experienced with the wait time on a GF replacement frame? As dorky as it might look said:

I had my new '06 improved seat post replacement frame in 8 days.

Installed 1st Thud buster shortly after. Heaven.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.