Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to get a new Epic Expert at a reasonable price.

Local Bike Store has both 2007 and 2008 Epic Expert in size XL (I am 6'3"), the only diffirence I see between '07 and '08 is rear shock (Fox vs. Specialized).

I searched through the forums and it sounds like Specialized '08 shock is a better choice, brain is more responsive.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=2892832

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2006/features/specialized_2007_mtb

I borrowed 2008 Epic Expert for 3 days and it was one amazing bike, I was very impressed, so I am really inclined to get 2008 Epic, but one of my friends who works in a bike store recommeded '07 vs. '08, saying it will be "more reliable", although he didn't really describe why.

It seems that rear shocks have high failure rate (on Epics), according to the forums, but specialized shock has 5 year warranty and Fox shock has only 1 year warranty.

Any comments?

·
Registered
253 Posts
The newer AFR rear shock is a much better ride than the Fox Brain Fade shock. I would definitely go with the 2008. I've ridden both and the new AFR is a much better shock. Don't worry about the failure rates - 2008 is much improved in that area. Besides, the 5yr warranty is bullet proof. My shop has change my 2007 AFR shock twice - no questions asked. The 2008 is holding up much better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the answer!

I am also caught between 08 Expert vs. Comp, it is $500 diffirence and major diffirences seem to be:

- Avid Juicy 5, not 7
- Diffirent Rear Derailleur
- Diffirent Crank Set

My thinking is that Juicy 5 is way better then cable disk brakes (I have now), and other parts are probably for weight savings, which I am not greatly concerned at the moment.

Any other reason to go with Expert over Comp?

I test rode 08 Epic Expert, so naturally I am targeting that bike, but if I can save $500 w/o sacraficing much I don't see why not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Epic Expert is really what I want!

My LBS wants $2200 for Epic Expert and $1700 for Epic Comp

I ended up with a slightly used '08 Stumpjumper FSR Elite. It turned out being less then Epic Comp.

It is not Expert, so it has Fox Shock, and no brain!

I think I'll miss the brain, there is slight bobing in ProPedal mode, but it has components similar to Epic Expert.

·
Lusus Naturae
2,874 Posts
So did you get the Elite instead of the Epic? I'm confused.

The shop I know with those prices (listed on CL as well) is GoRide Bicycles. I got my 2007 Epic Expert with the Fox shock and have had no problems. They always have sales at that shop that others could never come close to beating.

Anyway, the FSR Elite is a good all-mountain bike that will do pretty well, although it will never be as responsive as the Epic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.