Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I like bloody ankles
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems that I may be one of the few who has well working 07 suspension. The AFR has never given me a problem, and after an initial fork cartridge replacement over a year ago, the forks are also working well. Both respond to adjustment, don't leak air, have no noticeable stiction with just an occasional 5w fork oil coating, and feel pretty good....but I haven't ridden an 08 to compare.

I usually subscribe to the 'ol "if it's working, don't f*** with it". Any opinions on whether the 08 goods are really better than working 07's ? LBS has offered to replace them with no questions.

If it matters, both are early models - fork #300 and shock #400 in serial numbers.

Thanks

·
I like bloody ankles
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now that I've read on this site about the maintenance required, I'll start doing that a couple times a year. I've always done oil/seal changes on my dirt bike forks and maintained older model mtb forks, so I'm not afraid to open them up. The action has just felt good and I wasn't aware of the short maintenance interval.

My 07 shock does have very pronounced rebound changes between settings. Feels like nothing but a spring on the fast side, and if I slow it down all the way it take 10 seconds or more to return to top. Obviously I set it somewhere between. Rebound settings on the E150 are not so pronounced however.

Was anyone who made the change disappointed with the 08's ? I'm just hoping I don't change out only to regret since my setup has been reliable.

Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
758 Posts
PB Matrix said:
leave them alone, you are good
Agree. If you are happy with the performance of your suspension, just leave it.

You still have the 5 year warranty anyway so if something goes wrong later on in time, I am sure you should be able to upgrade it as long as suspension has been services as required.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Enduroblood said:
....by a qualified Spec bike tech, right?
I would say authorized spec dealer which pretty much would be the LBS where you purchased the bike from! They will be the guys talking to Specialized regarding any warranty issues and as they have been the ones servicing your bike and having a service history in hand, they will also be the ones sticking up for ya! :thumbsup:

·
I like bloody ankles
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Seriously, we can't service the forks ourselves and maintain warranty ?

Funny thing happened yesterday too. Half way through a ride it seemed that the forks lost all rebound damping and were bouncing back fast. I stopped and checked to find that the forks didn't respond to any rebound settings other than the very highest, which was just barely slow enough to be acceptable.

Timing is everything I guess, I'm following through with the swap, and will talk to the LBS about doing the service myself. They were pretty cool in the past and handed me replacement brake rotors to do myself under warranty.

·
Registered
758 Posts
dsjc said:
Seriously, we can't service the forks ourselves and maintain warranty ?

Funny thing happened yesterday too. Half way through a ride it seemed that the forks lost all rebound damping and were bouncing back fast. I stopped and checked to find that the forks didn't respond to any rebound settings other than the very highest, which was just barely slow enough to be acceptable.

Timing is everything I guess, I'm following through with the swap, and will talk to the LBS about doing the service myself. They were pretty cool in the past and handed me replacement brake rotors to do myself under warranty.
You jinxed it!!!!!!! You might as well getted checked. I do know a lot of people service their E150. In my case, I prefer to let the guys at my LBS do it. The've been really good and any problems I've had, they have fixed fairly quickly.

·
I like bloody ankles
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
iguanabartola said:
You jinxed it!!!!!!! You might as well getted checked. I do know a lot of people service their E150. In my case, I prefer to let the guys at my LBS do it. The've been really good and any problems I've had, they have fixed fairly quickly.
Exactly, I should have never even asked. But at least it happened at home rather than in Colorado next month !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.