Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
huffing and puffing
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building an '07 Coiler and have picked these parts but derailleurs have me stumped (options shown below)

Code:
Fork: Lyrik Solo Air (already have)
Headset: Ritchey Logic Threadless Black, 1 1/8", 28mm
Stem: Easton DH/FR 80mm 10 Deg 25.4 clamp
Bars: Easton EA70 DH Black, Low Rise, 25.4
Grips: Oury
F Brake: '09 BB7 203mm
R Brake: '09 BB7 160mm (is 185 better? I weigh 260)
Shifters: SramX.7 Trigger Shifters '07 9spd
Crankset: Shimano SLX M665 Double Crankset w/ BB
Chain: Sram PC-951 9SP
Chian Guide: Blackspire Stinger
Cassette: Sram Powerglide pg-970 9SP
Wheels: 135mm Azonic Outlaw White hoop Black spokes
Saddle: WTB Speed V Comp
Seatpost: Race Face Evolve XC '09 Black, 30.0 X 350mm

F derailleur: Shimano SLX
»Shimano SLX M660/661 Front Derailleur - FD293A00
* Multiclamp, Dual Pull, Bottom Swing
* Multiclamp, Dual Cable Pull, Top Swing 
* E-Type, Top-Swing, Dual Cable Pull 

»Shimano SLX M665/7 Front Derailleur - FD293A01
* Bottom-Swing (High Clamp), Dual Pull 
* Top-Swing (Low Clamp), Dual Cable Pull 
* E-Type, Dual Cable Pull

R derailleur: Shiman SLX
»Shimano SLX RD-M662 Rear Derailleur - RD294A00
* GS, 9 Speed
* SGS, 9 Speed
Let me know what you think…

·
Registered
203 Posts
If you want Sram shifters then you will need a Sram rear derailleur. Shimano and Sram have different pull ratios and they are not cross compatable. You can use a shimano front der. I would go with Sram shifters and Sram mid cage rear derailleur. For the front get the SLX that is ment for a duel ring setup. And you need a bottom swing.

Oh ya, i would go with hydraulic disc brakes.

·
Registered
333 Posts
good choice on the slx crankset and f/d...you must tell me how they perform...as for your wheelset of choice i have beeen rockin em on my hardtail for an annum now and love them...being 240ish them have held well...

·
Registered
633 Posts
Curmy said:
Get SLX/XT shifters. Much nicer.

160 in the rear is OK

Cassete - get XT, 970 is a pig, XT shifts better. Quarter pound right there.

GS derailleur is enough capacity for a double front.
Whatever. Go SRAM and you will never go back. I would also go with the hydros, you can get deals on Juicy 5's which is the way I would go. I weigh about as much as you and for AM/FR you will need more power.

·
Registered
633 Posts
konut said:
not enough quality for the high cost.
Pass a puff of what your smoking. I went x-7all the way around for less than$120! Beat that with XT for price or performance. Why do people like it? Cause it works awesome and you do not have to get to the XTR level of SRAM stuff before you get to the stuff that is not crap! I have never been as impressed with XT as I have with x.7/x.9. I bet if you did a poll more people feel my way than do not. Exception being cranks, XT is tough to beat there.

Plus it's nice (for me) to be able to up and down shift with my thumbs only. I like it better than having to use my index fingers also.

·
huffing and puffing
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the feed back everyone. Here's what I'm thinking:

160mm vs. 185mm:
185 mm rotor was $5 more. Might as well I think.

Sram vs Shimano:
I've heard arguments from different sides of the fence and well I think I am going to go with Sram I'm not as worried about shaving pounds cause if all goes right I'll be shedding some of my own extra baggage as I ride more. Sram is also a little on the cheaper side and have heard good things about running sram in back and shimano up front...the RD will be a medium cage x9 and the cassette I'm sticking with the sram. If the scales at Jenson are right then the weight difference between the XT and 970 is 43 grams or about 0.94# can't say I'm too worried about that.

BB7's VS Juicy:
I've had many people tell me they like their bb7's and that they perform well etc. also I'll be saving some serious dough by going mech. If I feel like I'm missing out I guess I'll ebay 'em out and get hydro's

Tires:
Looking at maxxis minions dhf/r wanting to go 60a but am curious what you all think about the 3c version dhf?

also will the dhf/r UST's work with azonic outlaws?

Headset:
ditching the Ritchey and going FSA Pig Silver

Levers:
speed dial 7

Pedals:
either crankbros 5050x (blue) or Kona Jack Sh!t (white). It seems that the crank bros pedals are more liked but are they serviceable? the Kona's are and they are also $40 cheaper…

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
stubs179 said:
Just curious, what don't you guys like about Sram?
I prefer ergonomics of the new multi-release shifters, and double release on XTR in particular. I do prefer how it shifts, and now since they tucked it away, made a stronger spring and direct cable routing I feel SRAM has no advantages left. I used to prefer SRAM.

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
Duckiller said:
you do not have to get to the XTR level of SRAM stuff before you get to the stuff that is not crap!
Sure you do not. SLX is of excellent quality. Best bung for the buck - by far.

SRAM also has nothing to compete with the AM version of SLX - double specific front derailler. Given that we are talking about Coiler, that's the best choice for the front shifter - SLX AM double crankset and derailleur combo.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I hate to admit that I do not know which ones they are. They are the super tacky version, the guy who owns my LBS has 2 kids that race downhill. They replace their tires every weekend so since he has about 50 sets laying around he hooked me up a "used set" (I could not tell they were not new) for $20 to try out to see if I liked them and I do.

That being said for the money I would still go with another set of Kenda Kinetics, IMO awesome tires and Jenson has them now for like $15 each in 2.6! I do not know anyone else who uses them so maybe I am weird but they feel lighter than the Minions and to me pedal better with the same grip. Plus they are not $65 a wack like the Minions.

I would still look at J5's. I know they are more than the BB7's but IMO that is the best upgrade to the package you can do. They are relatively cheap and work VERY well.

Sounds like a fun project, good luck!

·
Do it all or nothing
736 Posts
Just as a starting to note to help you set up I suggest you put the shock in the progressive position. Just slide the bottom of the shock closer to the seatstay. Looking nice mind you!!

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.