Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Carbon lefty clamps are bonded to the fork with a center to center of 137.60mm and the XL Niner frame has a head tube of 120mm and with a King head set stack height is 31.4 it did not look like it was going to work.

After looking at the numbers the whole project just about ended up on eBay at this point.

I had to trim 4mm off of the King upper race and 1.5mm off of the lower ti race. I trimmed the lower part of the head tube in the band saw, about 5.5mm and then did a final cut with a head tube face tool for another 1.5mm

After that it was a bolt on kit ! If I had a Smaller frame the project would have been a little easier.

The Project 321 conversion kit is a must have for this job.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RockStarRacing said:
That looks mint! its only the idea of doing the same to a Ti carver, that is thinking me reconsider the s80 rc29 thats coming, so you think it would be easier on a smaller head tube?
If you had a head tube of 105mm or shorter and were planning to use a King Headset with a stack height of 31.4mm It would all bolt together.

I looked at a Campagnolo Record Headset with a stack height of 24.5mm (about the shortest I could find) but ended up modifying the King instead.

·
wait a minute....
216 Posts
how did you limit the travel?

how do you keep the tire from hitting the crown?btw its makin me drool:D

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SIGMA said:
how do you keep the tire from hitting the crown?btw its makin me drool:D
Limiting the travel on the Lefty Sl was easy. I am using a nylon bottom out spacer very similar to what would be used on a Fox F100 or a Reba fork to reduce travel.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
davewoodcdale said:
Jeff are those the fast trak 29er tires? Have you had a chance to weigh them? I am thinking of getting them and was curious how they are working for you?
Yes they are Specialized fast traks

They seem to work pretty good, sometimes they can be a little sketchy on a fast fire road down hill but what isn't, and they seem to roll well.

I am running them tubeless with Stans 355 rims and yellow tape

Specialized claims the weight @ 790gm for a 29X2.0 but I have not weighed mine.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
rensho said:
790? I thought it was 600g.

790 is more like the Spec Resolutions.

I have a FT. 618 on my scale.
- I have 4 Reso's anywhere from 685 to 717. I don't recall what my Fastracks weighed.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
rensho said:
790? I thought it was 600g.

790 is more like the Spec Resolutions.

I have a FT. 618 on my scale.
Specialized web site is blank on the 29er tire weights,

But going by a Specialized 2006 equipment catalog they have FAST TRAK 29x2.0 @ 790gm, the 29er Resolution is not in my catalog but checking out a old Resolution thread here they came up with a average of 725gm But by using my old world scale (me) picking up a 29x2.3 Resolution and then picking up the Fast Track, The Fast Trak is lighter. Also the Niner accelerates faster with the Fast Trak on it, it must be the 105gm per tire.

The catalog must be wrong.

·
2006 sswc RockStar
928 Posts
Excelent, cheers for the tip, the standard carver 96er in small has a H/T of bang on 100mm! so should be a lot easier than yours, think i would have tossed it off! and just another quickie if you could, whats the axle to crown height on the SL's?

Cheers

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.