Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
spinout
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, got it put together and (almost) ready for the test ride. I'm getting some brake rub on both tires, mostly in the rear. According to the Ibex site, caliper adjustment should be simple. After that I might need to adjust the front and rear deraileurs, but I don't want to screw anything up. Any tricks/tips on how and when to make adjustments?

And for the life of me, I cannot figure out where the kickstand goes. :eek: There's a 3" bolt and a small adapter to install it, but I have no idea where to put it. The manual only mentions instructs for a special FS stand. Might be time to call Ibex.

Did I mention this bike looks deadly? The pics did NO justice whatsoever to how the final, in-person product looks. And it's incredibly light - I can tell this is just want I need to get back into serious trail riding. :D

There are a few minor problems...some areas of the bike suffered from scrapes - tiny sections of paint are missing from the front left fork leg and on one crank arm. I didn't find any touchup paint like in one of the online reviews of the Alpine I read. :( And the largest cog on the front deraileur looks like a little molten metal was spilled on it, giving a bumpy appearance. :( These are, like I said, minor issues, but I hate knowing that they're there. I took a few sloppy snaps and I'll get 'em up when I'm not on dialup. :p

Looking foward to the first ride! It's snowing right now, so I have to wait...a little...longer...

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
I would call them

Well, congrats first on getting the bike, and I'm sorry to hear you have a few issues. I would definitely call Ibex and talk to customer support about the issues you're having. My guess is that if there's a defect to the crankset or the fork, they will take care of those issues quickly and with minimal hassle. They can also walk you through some minor adjustments or check the Park Tools web site. Park has some great repair/adjustment articles. As for the kickstand, I vote for going without unless absolutely necessary. they are more hassle then they are worth and arguably a potential hazard for off-road riding.

Bob

·
spinout
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gave Ibex tech support a call but didn't get an answer, so I sent an email. If the chainring issue won't affect performance, I probably won't worry about it. And the stand...yeah, probably won't worry about that, either. I just want to know where it goes. :p

My heart gets warm every time I look at it. :D :D

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
bertlesby said:
Gave Ibex tech support a call but didn't get an answer, so I sent an email. If the chainring issue won't affect performance, I probably won't worry about it. And the stand...yeah, probably won't worry about that, either. I just want to know where it goes. :p
My heart gets warm every time I look at it. :D :D
Cant wait to see real non-web-site pictures..I bet that burnt orange is Awesome..:thumbsup:

Like I said I'm sorry your experience was less than perfect..As for the stand I don't have one to photograph the installation for you..
But this is the approximate location..:D

Jake

PS. Don't despair, IBEX will make it right :cornut::D

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
i have the same issues with my new 550. a few very minor chips here and there but no touch up paint. the brakes did need about a 1/4 turn or so on the pad till they stopped dragging. and i had to play with thr rear derailer a little till it was running smoothly. as for the kickstand, well i wanted to put mine on just cuz it was there. it did not want to keep still and when i tried to tighten it down more one of the sides snapped off. oh well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wow, thats nice looking! I was eagerly awaiting the first few realtime pictures of both the 550 and 650. I am going to order mine Monday morning. I can't wait until everyone starts posting about their first rides on them. Nice bike!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't see a reason not to go with the 650... this is why I try and set spending limits, because no matter what I am looking to purchase I end up researching and researching and keep going up in models and options until I'm double my budget. I wanted to spend 500 but if the fork is better for a larger ride on the 650 and a few better components, its worth the price difference. But like I said, I have to just pull the trigger and order one and be happy, I have already started clicking on the trophy series and other bikes so its time to step AWAY from the keyboard!

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Awww....c'mon!

psukydd said:
I don't see a reason not to go with the 650... this is why I try and set spending limits, because no matter what I am looking to purchase I end up researching and researching and keep going up in models and options until I'm double my budget. I wanted to spend 500 but if the fork is better for a larger ride on the 650 and a few better components, its worth the price difference. But like I said, I have to just pull the trigger and order one and be happy, I have already started clicking on the trophy series and other bikes so its time to step AWAY from the keyboard!
If you can afford $600 for the Alp 650, then you can surely justify $700 for the Trophy Comp X.7!! After all, it's $100 less than it's normal direct price of $800...LOL!!!

In all seriousness, the Alp 650 has a very nice spec. Deore...LX...BB5...Slate....Shimano clipless pedals. Smart pick!

Bob

·
Registered
19 Posts
psukydd said:
Yeah I know exactly what you mean man, I went out to my LBS to look at road bikes because I bought the wrong size on my Classic 3300. But I went in there thinking "$700...not a penny more!" and now I'm in the $800 range, it's truly ridiculous.

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
Ryan,
Welcome over to the "Dark Side" :thumbsup:

psukydd said:
If you can afford $600 for the Alp 650, then you can surely justify $700 for the Trophy Comp X.7!! After all, it's $100 less than it's normal direct price of $800...LOL!!!
In all seriousness, the Alp 650 has a very nice spec. Deore...LX...BB5...Slate....Shimano clipless pedals. Smart pick!
Bob
:idea: Think about it, Bobs Ha-Ha isn't that far fetched..For a $100 more you get $400+ in up-grades..J/K LOL...
But wait a minute, :madman: Will It ever END :madman:

Jake

PS. PICTUREs :thumbsup:

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
I'm teasing

Jake Pay said:
Ryan,
Welcome over to the "Dark Side" :thumbsup:

:idea: Think about it, Bobs Ha-Ha isn't that far fetched..For a $100 more you get $400+ in up-grades..J/K LOL...
But wait a minute, :madman: Will It ever END :madman:

Jake

PS. PICTUREs :thumbsup:
I don't want to spend anybody's money, or push him to spend more than he really should. I do however believe that the Comp X.7 is the best deal going out there for a $700 bike. There's just nothing that comes close, especially if you're a SRAM/RockShox fan. My guess is this is close to cost or a loss leader for Ibex.

Bob

·
Company CSR
1,027 Posts
Call_me_Clyde said:
...My guess is this is close to cost or a loss leader for Ibex.
Yes, it was just a teaser so we did not leave the MTB's completely out of our January Sale (that was mostly aimed at roadbikes). It may be a moot point, though, as we are getting low on stock of the Trophy Comp X7 and the special runs out in a few days at the end of January.

Regards,
Jack

·
I win.
713 Posts
I love my trophy x7!!!

What an amazing bike. The thing just instills confidence (whether that's good or bad is debatable :) )
Today I took it out to the trail for the first time and the thing is just a rocket down the smooth sections. When I got to the more bumpy stuff It was a little bouncy but that was more my fault because I forgot to air down the tires. Either way it was amazing ride. I also caught some great air off the jumps and the bike just kept asking for more. I love the Tora 318 shock. The motion control and rebound adjustments work great. Reach down and turn the dial to lock out the fork during a climb and then go back down and turn it the other way when you start flying.
The shifting from the sram system is spot on. I haven't had to tinker with it at all yet.
The brakes... wow.... what can I say... amazing. I never realized how much balance you got from braking properly. I was going over some see saws and some boards that were elevated off the ground. Never once did i feel like I was going to tip over because the brakes were always there to help me balance things out.
After the trail I went home ate a little and I've been riding around town all night. I just got back home a little bit ago actually. What can I say, the bike puts a huge smile on my face.

I was looking at the alpine series as well before I decided on the Trophy X7. I was right there in the $500 range and then got to looking at the trophies and I figured it was well worth the extra $200. The parts and the frame itself are just top notch. I plan on having this sucker around for a long time so the costs are completely justified in my opinion ( or atleast that's what I want to believe :) )

So if you have the extra money do yourself a favor and put a little more down on the X7. If not the alpines are better than any other bike out there for the money. Either way you're gonna be smiling from ear to ear :thumbsup:

Now excuse me while I go wipe the beast down and get all the dirt off the thing.

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
Ya snooze, ya loose..........Its a fact.....

Call_me_Clyde said:
I do however believe that the Comp X.7 is the best deal going out there for a $700 bike. There's just nothing that comes close, especially if you're a SRAM/RockShox fan. My guess is this is close to cost or a loss leader for Ibex.
Bob
I'm in total agreement..The cost to build the T-C-X7 on the build your own plan, works out on paper well over $1300..I had to guesstimate things like hubs..You know me, I do a lot of research shopping and the $700 is a steal..No doubt about it :thumbsup:

Jake

PS. Poppers one Happy Camper :cornut::D

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.