Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
suspension whore
702 Posts
I have a 6.6 with a 170mm fork that I'm still riding happily. I'm about to tear it down and replace the linkage bearings and drive train - the original stuff has finally worn out.
The 6.6 climbs adequately for a bike with that much travel and descends pretty well.
modern bikes have a lower bottom bottom bracket - that one will probably be around 14 1/3 inches or higher depending on tires.
I hated that shock - as did many others. read up all the threads about 6.6 DHX mid range wallow.
Once I bought a coil for the bike I was really happy.
Once I put offset spacers on the shock (lowering BB and slackening HA) I was extremely happy.
Many 6.6 owners also ended up with 10mm thru axle rear ends to stiffen the rear triangle a bit. I did, the wider rims and thru axle are great.
seemed more important to those who weighed more.

In short I'm still very happy with mine after 6 years, that price seems reasonable if its all true. I do question why a prefessional bike mechanic is paying full retail for his parts?
It should ride pretty well as it sits but many before you have felt the need to add a coil shock/ bolt on rear to bring the bike up to full potential. My weighs in around 35 lbs so its definately built for going down but I still do long climbs on it (2500') and its help up to a lot of rocky descending abuse.

Now days in the intense line up the tracer is probably a better climber and the Uzzi is a beefier descender - The 6.6 falls nicely inbetween which is why im still riding mine and not interested in replacing it the the frame dies.

·
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶[$
885 Posts
Mathew sums up the negatives pretty nicely. High BB, steep head angle, wallowy DHX Air and flexy rear triangle. Most of the issues can be overcome with alternate shock choice, offset shock bushings (or Angleset headset) and the 10mm bolt on rear axle.

Add to the list that the top tube was a little shortish for my taste. Always felt a bit cramped to me at 6' on a large frame with a 90mm stem and 28" bars (this was before you could get the 30+ inch bars available these days). I also had a 10mm thru axle on the rear end which helped a bit but still felt a bit flexy for my 200+ lbs.

Had mine for a few years but couldn't get used to the BB height and steep head angle (before the availability of Angleset headsets and offset bushings). Ended up selling both my 6.6 and my Uzzi SLX and picked up an Intense Slopestyle. Been nothing but miles of smiles since then :D

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you...seems like too much $$$$ to get the bike working right, thats why I sold my 11'stumpy. so i will be moving on thank you

1 - 4 of 4 Posts