Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just wanted to know if the bike in the link above is alright? what are your thoughts? Im not too familiar with the 6.6...

·
wuss
2,379 Posts
Isn't that price a bit steep for a 5 year old model?

I'm not familiar with changes made to the 6.6, but a friend has one from the last year they where made and likes it. I felt it's a bit tall and steep, but an angleset might fix that...

I'd also check if they had any known weak spots and ensure the frames alignment.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Owned one for more than 2 years and I think it's still a great bike. But I recon some mods can improve it a lot:

-Some offset bushings in the shock can slack the head angle by one degree and lower the bottom bracket one centimeter.
-A stiff rear wheel with a 10 mm axle will improve the stiffness of the bike, since the rear stays tend to flex a bit.
-The frame was designed to be used with a coil shock.

·
Registered
12,537 Posts
Owned one for more than 2 years and I think it's still a great bike. But I recon some mods can improve it a lot:

-Some offset bussings in the shock can slack the head angle by one degree and lower the bottom bracket one centimeter.
-A stiff rear wheel with a 10 mm axle will improve the stiffness of the bike, since the rear stays tend to flex a bit.
-The frame was designed to be used with a coil shock.
I owned a 2006 6.6 for a couple years then sold it to a buddy who rode it hard for another three before finding a small crack ath the bottom of the seat tube at the bb junction. He got it repaired and is still using it.

Good durable all around bike. I think he's asking too much for it based on its age and current prices on used bikes but it probably hasn't seen a lot of downhill abuse living in Florida. Lower to mid-level components for the most part (729 rims the one exception). You might have to switch the fork out. I was never too impressed with any fork from Manitou.

I agree with the Amukinado, with a few updates to lower the bb and slacken the HA a bit it will match up well with most other current 6" AM/Trail bikes.

I don't know if it was designed for a coil shock but it behaves better with one.

Rear end can be flexy but a through-bolt rear axle and fresh bearings stiffen things up to acceptable level.

Really no significant changes occured during the 4 or 5 year run that this bike was produced.

Offer him $1500.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys!!! I may just stick with the Nomad...search continues...
I not too happy with the components nor the fork. But I'll give it a test ride anyways..I thought the price was steep.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts