Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Cheney for Sith Lord '08
179 Posts
Dude,I'm starting to think that just putting "'06" in the title is a death sentence to the thread on this board.It's starting to give me the creeps,not to mention that it's a little discouraging.Guess we're better off asking about unicorns or the chupacabra...

·
OlTime XR500 JumpingChamp
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ArroyoBomber said:
Dude,I'm starting to think that just putting "'06" in the title is a death sentence to the thread on this board.It's starting to give me the creeps,not to mention that it's a little discouraging.Guess we're better off asking about unicorns or the chupacabra...
Your right AB Chupacabras and Cdales get more press than IH here in Coachella.

·
Cheney for Sith Lord '08
179 Posts
Mr.P said:
I prefer My Little Pony to unicorns.

I can post a pic of my collection if you like.

Mr. P
No need.I think a rubber chicken on your stem is more than sufficient :p

Ok,drum roll please.......
I shot an e-mail to TomB at Iron Horse,and it looks as though I should be getting my Warrior Trail this week as I had hoped.Woohoo!The '06 version seems to have had a major overhaul with components since the '05,Lots of new components which I have yet to become familiarized with though (Marzocchi MZIII fork,X-Fusion Glyde R shock,WTB SX-24 rims),but I look forward to putting them through the runs.I decided that since this is my first FS bike and I'm sub-200 lbs,that 5" should be sufficient for a trail bike,though I'd take a chance to ride a W-Six in a heartbeat.Going out of state in a few days,but I'm taking the bike to be "de-virg'ed" on a newly opened preserve/bike trail in S.Texas.I'll stay posted and let ya know how she rides.

·
Cheney for Sith Lord '08
179 Posts
Well,I said I'd keep posted about my '06 Warrior Trail,and after a couple weeks of my abuse,here's how she fares.
Many reviews and comments about the '05 Warriors (Trail and Pro) made me worry initially about possible durability issues.So far, that hasn't been the case.The break-in period was fairly painless, and after tweaking the preload on the fork a little, going with heavier oil for added stiffness (the Marz MZ III is a bit on the soft side), and tightening a few spokes she's good to go.Still nice and silent after about 50 miles of abusive, rocky trails, drops of up to 3 feet, even a couple of stair cases, and a few other things it wasn't meant to do.Sure, results may vary (I'm pretty good at absorbing hits due to being so used to riding full-rigid bikes) depending on your personal style of riding, but my point is that this bike is plenty tough for the price.
The high/forward pivot point makes for much smoother seated pedaling then I expected, though standing and mashing without noticeable feedback takes some practice (but can be accomplished).Someone stated one time that these things "really do climb like mountain goats".All I can say to that is "sho 'nuff".My physical abilities can just barely keep up with it's climbing capabilities,which so far seem to be it's strongest suit.
I do plan on eventually switching to another fork.Not that the MZ III is a "bad" fork per se.Sure, I'd like something a little stiffer, but the planned switch is mostly because of tire clearance.I can just barely fit a 2.3" tire up front (actual width 2.2), which is my preferred size, while there's plenty of room in the back for 2.35"-2.5" tires.
So far,so good on the X-Fusion shock in the rear, though the only settings which can be adjusted are spring preload and rebound.As with the fork, I plan on riding it hard until the point of near-catastrophic failure, then upgrading to something burlier with more adjustable settings.
Personally, I have yet to find any real need for super-expensive shifters/derailleurs other than unweighting my wallet of it's burden.The SRAM SX5 rear/Shimano Alivio front (d'oh,SO close to being Shimano-free,except for this one part!) with SX4 triggers more than suffice for my needs as long as they're properly tuned and maintained.Of course I may change that one day if I ever have $400 that I'm just sick of looking at :p .
The brakes are where I got a little confused.Sure,they work great, it's just that they're supposed to be Hayes MX-2s, and look very similar,but they say "IH2" instead of "MX-2" on them.Not sure if it's just a special designation due to it being on an IH bike or if it's a different part.Either way, good modulation and power...no complaints.
The last thing I'll address are the wheels.It is SUPER easy to mount tires to and remove from the stock WTB SX-24s ...enough to where it makes me a tiny bit nervous.No problems with them so far,but I do plan on getting a wheelset with wider rims (these things are pretty narrow).But if ya like light and fast, plus ya hate wrestling with tires, these are a good call.
I know that this thread was originally for the Warrior Pro, but since they're the same frame and many similar components, I thought I'd throw in my $0.02.Awesome ride for the price IMHO.Burly frame, a little heavy if ya do XC, but great for more aggressive XC/trails from my experience.Hope it helps with some of your decisions.

·
I dig trails!
5,599 Posts
Nice. Sounds like you are riding well past what you paid for the bike :) Nothing like happy riding. Sounds like you have a BMX background too.

The frames on those bikes look sweet. When you feel you forks are "near catastrophic failure" a good option on a tight budget seem to be RockShox Tora 130mm forks. The ones with Floodgate damping (same as RS's high end forks). Even the uber snobs are talking these fork up. ~$200

Keep mashin'

Gotta ask for pics man!

Mr. P

·
OlTime XR500 JumpingChamp
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the update AB, ! what size frame did you get? and what is your weight? if you don't mind me asking.

Also care to guess the weight of your trail bike.

Have fun ...

·
Cheney for Sith Lord '08
179 Posts
Mr.P-
Well past what I paid and then some.Through odd circumstances and TONS of waiting I picked it up for even less than the tag price of $799.Steal!Did some BMX as a teenager, but nowadays I do my practicing on and off the trails on this...

That's right.Old-skool Rockhopper full-rigid (circa early '90s) with Biopace rings.Laugh if ya want, but if you can do the stupid stuff on a rig like this, everything else is cake.
Thanks for the advice on the Tora.Sounds like a great option, and one I will consider, along with the Pike, Nixon, and Z-1.Even trying to find info on White Bros forks (any info would be appreciated).But I doubt I could get any of those for $200.I'll try to get some pics of my new IH on a ride to a certain mesa this week.

Thunderboltgreaseslapper-
I'd like to hear more about the mods after ya get a few miles on them.Please keep posted on how they worked out.Thanks

CrystalBay-
You're most certainly welcome.I'm 5-10, 30" inseam, and went with the 17" frame.Nearly perfect fit, but I may go with a shorter stem and higher bars for a little more of an upright position.I tend to fluctuate between 175-185lbs depending on my man-cycle :p ...just heavy enough to put a brutal beating on my rig if I'm feelin' froggy.So far,it's holding up well.I wouldn't put the Warrior at an ounce under 34 lbs if I took a guess (haven't actually weighed it though), and it'll only get heavier after I put on a burlier wheelset.But I never planned on XC racing on this, so I try not to cry about it.The uphill traction more than makes up for it in my opinion.Besides, I'm still not used to the luxury of 22t/32t (see photo of Rockhopper...those Biopace rings practically belong on a road bike,and the biggest cog is 28t!).
Anyhow, hope that more Warrior owners share their experiences as well.Ride on!

Attachments

·
I dig trails!
5,599 Posts
ArroyoBomber said:
That's right.Old-skool Rockhopper full-rigid (circa early '90s) with Biopace rings.Laugh if ya want, but if you can do the stupid stuff on a rig like this, everything else is cake.
That is flippin sweet! Doubles on a Rockhopper! No worries about judgements, I just rode my 1st MTB on Sunday, circa 92 rigid jamis. No doubles for me on that thing tho, it's aready been through enough. It survived daily commutes accross the city of San Francisco, now it is the crappy conditions single speed. I can still ride almost all of the technicals on the rigid that I can on the FS, just alot slower and not always mistake free. (I rode my genitals down some rocks on Sunday [insert operatic voice here]). :eek:

You need to post those pics in the Dh forum or the Vintage forum. Hah! I love it.

Always truth in how you ride, not what your ride looks like.

Any more pics of you on the Rock Hopper? I love it.

Mr. P

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
ArroyoBomber said:
The high/forward pivot point makes for much smoother seated pedaling then I expected, though standing and mashing without noticeable feedback takes some practice (but can be accomplished).Someone stated one time that these things "really do climb like mountain goats".All I can say to that is "sho 'nuff".My physical abilities can just barely keep up with it's climbing capabilities,which so far seem to be it's strongest suit..
I'm psyched to see the Warriors and Aniki/Okikis getting some props. The bikes ride pretty sweet in my opinion. Having ridden some "higher end" single pivots from other bigger bike makers, I am pretty comfortable with saying that the Iron Horse single pivots ride as good as if not better than many other single pivots on the market today. Its not a dw-link, but its not bad either.

Sounds like you are really getting your $$$ worth out of that bike! Keep having fun! That frame should last you a long time and is a great platform for upgrades.

Dave

·
Cheney for Sith Lord '08
179 Posts
Glad ya liked the pics Mr.P,and sorry to hear about ya wrecking your junk.But if you keep your genitals inflated to at least 55 psi,that sorta thing shouldn't happen :p .Yeah, I've been known to draw some odd looks with the ol' Rockhopper,as well as a fair share of comments/questions, such as "Doesn't it hurt when ya land?Why don't you get a bmx/suspension fork/your head checked?That bike wasn't meant for that...", to which I reply "Only if I land wrong","I hate riding singlespeed up mountains/I like the weight on the 'hopper/I already know that I'm screwed up", and "Eat me", respectively.I'd love to bomb it through Golden Gate Park on this next time I'm there...but I'm always cooking up excuses for a road trip.Have to see if I have any worthy pics to post up, otherwise it's time to get out the cam and find some loading docks and dirt jumps :D.
_dw, I was like thiiiiis close to going with an Aniki instead, since it's the killer deal in the (light) dh category as the Warrior is in the trails category.I guess the dealbreaker was that for now I need something more "all-purpose", plus I love having a big ring for extra-stupid speed down moderate-grade hills (hey,gotta get good on somethin',right?).But I'd also like to hear from other Yakuza owners if possible, just so I know a little about what I passed on.Back to having fun...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.