Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
trance1

I went for my first ride on the bike today,it was amazing how it handled.I was concerned
about it being heavier then my old bike(Tomac Revolver Pro).It was barely noticeable
accelerating out of a tight corner,but going through root sections made up for it! I got to
go out in the morning and try it again-bike makes you want to ride.I weighed it at the
bike shop this afternoon and it came to a little over 26.5 lbs. (18 in. frame.no pedals)
keep pedalin`

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Glad you're enjoying your new Trance, weight is un-believeable wish I could get mine down that low (think she's around 29lbs right now) Would be really nice to have someone who had the original Trance frame and a new one to compare if there's any ride difference.

·
Registered
18 Posts
LyNx said:
Glad you're enjoying your new Trance, weight is un-believeable wish I could get mine down that low (think she's around 29lbs right now) Would be really nice to have someone who had the original Trance frame and a new one to compare if there's any ride difference.
I'd like to know the reasult of this comparsion too ;)

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I think the 06 US model is slightly lighter and stiffer. Until, someone here post the difference between the 2, we will never know.

C'mon 06 riders let us know your experience from 05 to 06 US model or your 1st 06 model experience. WHAT's IT LIKE?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Giant have stated that the pierced down tube makes the rear end stiffer- I somehow doubt that though. It may be slightly stiffer. No Maestro owners were complaining about stiffness. There were also some complaints from mag reviewers about "seeing through the frame"... all in all something IMO that doesn't warrant the cost of building new moulds to manufacture the new design. To an extent it may be cheaper to manufacture as the basket is quite complex (it must be strong)- but Europe and here (Australia) are still getting the shock-in-the-basket design for 2006.

If you recall when Maestro was released, they had to change their suspension design almost at the last minute due to VPP (Santa Cruz & Intense) patent infringement. DW-Link- used by Ironhorse is not patented and still creates a "virtual" pivot point (The way the the DW-Link looks is patented as a US patent).

I really think the issue is with the way that the 2005 Giants looked... very similar to the Ironhorse MKIII etc. Possibly Ironhorse had a chat via lawyers to Giant. Much in the same way that Specialized had a chat to Scott, consequently all the RC and MC models are being sold off cheap thorughout Europe because they can't be sold in the US anymore. But that's just my opinion...

·
MBAA!
294 Posts
granny.gear said:
U.S. 05 & 06 Maestro owners,

Can anybody tell us the frame weight for each design (Trance or Reign)

Would like to know if the pierced design is lighter?
I believe it would be around the same weight. Perhaps lighter... but since Giant is fine tuning the frame still, it almost surely weighs less because they change how wide (diameter) the tubing actually is. Usually this is lowered or shaped into ovals.

Its hard to tell due to the white frame, and my monitor, but it almost certainly appears that the rear triangle in general has thinner tubes as far as circumfrence. No clue about diameter though.

What im TRYING to say is yes, it is probably lighter. Framesets probably lighter as well.

·
IMBA Canada
844 Posts
Hopefully someone will know the actual weights!

06 must be lighter
Yeah but....

Does it REALLY matter?

I don't think it makes the slightest difference if the bike is a few grams lighter... just get some better parts... save on the rotationnal weight of the wheels... then you'll see a difference!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.