Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does Giant make an inexpensive shock guard for an 06 Trance? I did a search and saw that they make a $40-60 carbon one for the Reign which may fit the Trance but it doesn't really matter since I can't fathom paying that much for what it is. Do they offer a plastic one? If so, how much?

I saw some good ideas in my searching for homebrew shock guards, mostly for 05 Reigns. Anyone make any decent ones for their 06 Trance? Post photos if you got em, I am looking for ideas. Thanks!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Just a note about the carbon shock guards. Ive got a 07 trance 0. It came with the carbon guard on the bike and a plastic one with the manuals etc. I weighed the two. The carbon weighs 24 grams and the plastic weigh 14 grams. For any weight weenies out there, thats a whole 10 grams of weight you can save ! Ive left the carbon one on though, a bit more bling than the plastic version.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Do an advanced search of these forums and you'll find a load of threads about this w/ tonnes of photos of people custom DIY ones.

·
Incredulous bastard
260 Posts
Giant was right inconsistent with which '06 frames ship'd with the guard included. My Reign came in September and didn't have one. The local rep told me that he'd give me a guard at cost. No thanks.

There are quite a few examples is the Reign postin' thread. And here's an entire thread about nothing else.

Below is my version of the guard. A little piece of aluminum, a few bends, a drill and some enamel yielded mine. It works perfectly and has for about 500 miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
956 Posts
no one in particular - I can't really tell if your guard extends wide enough to cover the lower shock mounts, bushings, etc.. Anyone fabricating one might want to be sure it does. It could extend the life of those elements by reducing the grit that finds its way into the seams, at little extra cost.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I use one form Lizzard Skins to just keep the dirt and crud out. It works fine. Just insert it from below the shock in a "U" then velcro it shut. Oh you will need to cut it to proper fit before install. Mine woked out to be about 1/2 so now I have two. :thumbsup:

Here is the link. The material addapts to the shape of the shock so the one on the website shows a coil. It will be straight on yours.

http://lizardskins.com/products/vie...=Rear Boot&name2=&page_number=1&order_id=1404

·
Incredulous bastard
260 Posts
swoodbrn said:
I can't really tell if your guard extends wide enough to cover the lower shock mounts, bushings, etc..
Here's a real darn big version of the same photo. Since that bushing is where play develops in most full suspension bikes, protecting it was certainly one of my design parameters. I didn't intend for it to cover the outer mounting bolt and nut, but just the bushing/shock body interface. The guard extends down to the bushing and curls just under it, but it doesn't pass around it. It does do a fair job of protecting the bushing from grime.

This was intended to be my first version of the guard and I was going to produce another after I evaluated it's performance. But I've been very pleased with it and I've had no reason for reproduction. My primart design parameter was to protect the shock body from impacts from objects thrown by the front tire. The guard does this job very well.

Root Rat said:
I use one form Lizzard Skins to just keep the dirt and crud out. It works fine.
I've consider'd those and I reckon it would do its job very well indeed. But I don't much know how you go about setting, monitoring and adjusting your sag. I imagine that could be quite annoying.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The sag adjustment is not really a big deal. I would recommend you set it and take your bike out for your normal ride without the guard. Check the O-ring If it has not bottomed out and dropped off the shock you are good to go. Clean the bike, lightly lube the shock body wipe off excess and install the cover.

You can reach your finger under the cover to see if you've dropped the o-ring. You really should not have to adjust the pressure that often. Once you get the range you like just check it with the pump every 3-4 months. If you know that you may be hitting larger drops or jumps just up the pressure a bit.

I do take the guard off to wash the bike. Just hose off the guard and reinstall. It works well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.