Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a deal? on an 06 talas R. 400 bucks, brand new.

Is this a good shock? I am putting it on a 5 spot, trying to keep it light.

I dont care about the lockout, but what again does the C stand for?

Everyone like the shock?

Thanks

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK......

What is the difference between a float and a TALAS?

I can get a Float 130 RLC for the same price as a Talas R. Which is better?

tx

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
mattsteve said:
What is the difference between a float and a TALAS?
TALA = Travel Adjustable Linear Airspring, you can adjust it's travel from 90mm to 130mm.

Float is a 130mm fixed travel air spring fork.

I haven't ridden a Float but I've read at least a few posts that claim the Talas rides better.

·
carpe mañana
7,297 Posts
I would go with neither. TALAS sounds great on paper, in practice, you have to either set it up for good small bump compliance, where you lose ability to take big hits without the fork bottoming out, or vice versa, where your fork can take bigger hits at the cost of small bump compliance. Float rides ok, but there are much better riding forks than that. Compression adjustment is very useful in preventing excessive brake dive. Check out Revelation or if you don't have a front wheel, yet, get the PIKE.

_MK

·
carpe mañana
7,297 Posts
Forgot about the Vanilla. I had one on my Spot for a couple of days before deciding it exhibited too much flex. Revelation will be about as stiff as a Fox, so maybe go with the Vanilla. You ought to be able to find one pretty cheap. Go with the RLC. Lockout is useless for a 5" trail bike, but the compression adjustment is very valueble.

_MK

·
carpe mañana
7,297 Posts
Here's a good one. 2005 Nixon Comp. TPC damped, which is super smooth and fairly light at 4.6lbs. Much stiffer than the Foxes. If you can internally drop the tavel from 145 to 130mm, I would go with that fork. Oh yea, best part, it is only $219 at JensonUSA.

_MK

·
ಠ_ಠ
3,190 Posts
mattsteve said:
I found a deal? on an 06 talas R. 400 bucks, brand new.

Is this a good shock? I am putting it on a 5 spot, trying to keep it light.

I dont care about the lockout, but what again does the C stand for?

Everyone like the shock?

Thanks
That's a GREAT deal! I'd definitely go for it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts