Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to get a new fork for my 06 stumpy. it came with a 90-130mm talas. i was looking into the float RL. they seem to come either in 120 or 140mm. my question can i run the 140mm with more sag or get the 120mm be in the 90-130 range.

thanks in advance :D

·
Registered
327 Posts
cant fix a flat said:
i need to get a new fork for my 06 stumpy. it came with a 90-130mm talas. i was looking into the float RL. they seem to come either in 120 or 140mm. my question can i run the 140mm with more sag or get the 120mm be in the 90-130 range.

You can travel reduce the 140mm float to whatever you want, or the 120mm may be the same fork with a 20mm travel reducing spacer in it. I think the float forks are full length stanchions and dampers, but the F-series are lighter weight forks that have travel specific dampers (you can't extend a F120 to 140, but a float goes longer if necessary).

·
Registered
85 Posts
I tried running my tallas at the 140 setting with a lot of sag to get 120, rides teriable. Braking, cornering, riding seeps all compressed the fork so the bike was super unstable, overly firm is better than overly soft.

What are you not happy with in your current tallas? The foat will have the same spring rates and damper as the float, so I woudn't expect there to be a performance advantage.

You could save youself a ton of money and just send your current fork into PUSH for a rebuild, and custom tune. They may be able to swap our lowers to allow you to run a different axle if that's what you are looking for. They can also replace broken parts if that's the problem. Your fork will perform 2X as good as currenly with their custom tune.

I've got an 09 stumpy.

·
MattSavage
2,480 Posts
cant fix a flat said:

Yes, 140... It will benefit from the slightly slacker head angle, won't affect climbing on that bike.

No, do not run excessive sag. Set the fork up properly so it performs properly. Too soft of spring rate will require excessive compression damping which just screws things up.

Push is an excellent option if you're capable of rebuilding your current fork. It'll be better than a new one technically, maybe not cosmetically....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts