Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm thinking about getting a stumpy expert or a giant trance 2. i dont hear alot of talk about the stumpy in other forums. i would like to hear some performance feedback on the stumpjumper. what do you owners think about the climbing ability, and fast single track handling? have you found any negative aspects of your bikes? would any of you choose another bike if you had the chance?

any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a 05 Stumpjumper FSR Expert Disc 100. When I was in Colorado I rented a demo Trance 2. To be honest, the Trance 2 was nice but I felt that my bike was much more nimble. It also had it beat in other categories, but I think that was more due to the components than the actual frame (XTR derailer vs LX, ext...).

I'd go with the stumpy again before I would consider the Trance after my ride.

IMHO.

·
Registered
6 Posts
jmcgonig said:
I have a 05 Stumpjumper FSR Expert Disc 100. When I was in Colorado I rented a demo Trance 2. To be honest, the Trance 2 was nice but I felt that my bike was much more nimble. It also had it beat in other categories, but I think that was more due to the components than the actual frame (XTR derailer vs LX, ext...).

I'd go with the stumpy again before I would consider the Trance after my ride.

IMHO.
I'm going through a similar comparison but with the Trance and FSR XC (see a few posts below for FSR XC input) instead of the stumpy. From my test rides, I thought the FSR XC (Comp) was more nimble than the Stumpjumper (Expert) and the Trance (3 not 2) was more nimble than the FSR XC (Comp) in handling.

Would it be because the stumpy is now a 120 vs. your 100? I've also heard the stock tires on the Trance, Bulldogs(?), do not grip well so that may explain the handling differences as well.

My test rides were in LBS parking lots so traction was not an issue :). Unfortunately, parking lot test rides do not equate to actual trail experience.

·
Registered
16 Posts
yedithefireman said:
if you are going to get a stumpy get it soon, spe. is selling out very fast this year. even the expensive stuff
This is 100% TRUE. I just bought the last silver Stumpy Expert my shop could find in my size. They had 2 greens left, and only 3 of the Stumpy Comps left total. Its early in the year too be selling out.....but they are doing it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Demos said:
I'm going through a similar comparison but with the Trance and FSR XC (see a few posts below for FSR XC input) instead of the stumpy. From my test rides, I thought the FSR XC (Comp) was more nimble than the Stumpjumper (Expert) and the Trance (3 not 2) was more nimble than the FSR XC (Comp) in handling.

Would it be because the stumpy is now a 120 vs. your 100? I've also heard the stock tires on the Trance, Bulldogs(?), do not grip well so that may explain the handling differences as well.

My test rides were in LBS parking lots so traction was not an issue :). Unfortunately, parking lot test rides do not equate to actual trail experience.
Dunno... I did find the 100 more nimble than the 120 when I was looking in 2005. Maybe its just personal preference also? The trail I rode the Trance on was completly different and new so maybe the comparison isn't good.

·
SALLGUD
449 Posts
Nothing to complain about!

I have an '06 Stumpy FSR Expert. I had some initial creaks that were taken care of by removing and re-torquing several suspension bolts. Other than that, I have no reason to complain. This bikes rocks.

I have always ridden "boutique" bikes (Fat Chance, Manitou, Yeti, Turner, Bianchi to name a few) and was not sure I would like this "off-the-shelf" bike, plus I was skeptical about buying from the "Evil Empire" (Specialized this time, not Shimano!), but I have nary a thing to complain about. It is a very good, very competent XC/trail bike.

Michael

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
THANKS...just bought a new stumpy

i'm the proud new owner of a bright green stumpy expert. it was a demo bike that had <5 rides on it. got a pretty good deal at 2300 with pedals, shock pump, and lifetime warranty and servicing, considering msr of 2800. thanks for the input, i knew i liked the ride, i just needed a little reassurance. thanks again for the input. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Ha ha, congratulations on your purchase, sometimes it's so hard to make a decision hey, funny how we look for reassurance - but in the end I think we end up with the bike that we can most convince ourselfves about (taking all info we can find into account of course).

I remember when I was looking (ended up with a Trance 3 - the stumpy was out of my budget a bit, but still sort of in consideration). Anyway everyone I came across that had brought a 06 stumpy was very happy with it, so were people who brought a Trance.

I don't think you'll regret your decision, I know I wouldn't have if that was what I chose. Just have a read of the review on either the AMB or MBA mag - can't remember which exactly. The Stumpy got a real great review there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.