Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my choices down to two, I think. First off is the '06 Specialized Hardrock Pro Disc. Secondly is the '06 Trek Alpha Aluminum 4900. What ones better? I already use/own an '03(?) Hardrock, and I love it. I think I want to stay with Specialized but I want the most bang for my buck. Thanks alot.

·
Registered
9,567 Posts
Of the two, I think Specialized makes a better bike. I don't knock anyone's existing bike or brand but if I were to buy a new one and had only these two choices, I would not buy a Trek.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MSRP=
Specialized - $710​
Trek - $619​
The price difference doesn't matter a whole lot for me, I just want the most bang for my buck. I don't know how much the frames changed but 2-3 years ago I test drove alot of treks and specialized and I thought the specialized fit my body better. I am 6' 2" and 165 lbs. if that matters (all muscle :thumbsup:)<--no joke.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm a big Specialized fan, but fit is key in either decision. Only concern I have on the Hardrock Pro Disc is outer bash ring. What kind of riding are you going to do? For $700, I'd take a serious look at the RockHopper Comp as well - great components and most likely a much lighter bike - again, depends on what kind of riding you'd like to do.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
pspycho said:
I'm a big Specialized fan, but fit is key in either decision. Only concern I have on the Hardrock Pro Disc is outer bash ring. What kind of riding are you going to do? For $700, I'd take a serious look at the RockHopper Comp as well - great components and most likely a much lighter bike - again, depends on what kind of riding you'd like to do.
I do mainly single-track, I do almost everything though. I also go road biking too, the only thing I don't do is Downhill racing. I need a really tough, dependable bike because some of the stuff I do is really rough. I looked at the reviews for the Marzocchi fork that comes stock on the bike and all I see is bad reviews... isn't looking good.

~aKore

·
Registered
288 Posts
So,
Then I'd give a hard look at the $770 RockHopper Comp (RockShox Tora Fork), Sun Mach 4 Rims, Avid Single Digit 3 V-Brakes, and Deore/Deore LX Components.

Time to decide if you really need Disc Brakes. They can always be added on later.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. After looking over the components of the Rockhopper, then the Hardrock, it looks like the Rockhopper is the better deal. I'll look into more, thanks alot.

·
Soy Chingon
261 Posts
I used to have the Trek 4900, I think it was a 2002 model. Not sure. It was a great bike and it was what I used to start out in the sport. Now I have a Santa Cruz Super Light. The 4900 is a great beginner bike, but it doesn't have the best components and it's pretty heavy. I have yet to ride the Specialized bike. Take them both out and see which one fits you best.

I do miss my Trek though. It will always have a place in my heart

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.