Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time Turner admirer, first time Turner owner. Just ordered an '06 RFX, white. Can't wait to build this baby up....get ready for my barrage of build questions in the coming weeks/month.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
congrats - be sure to look at the set up database which is a "sticky" and use the search feature - most of your questions have already been answered 100 times! if you have tire questions pm a guy called PCinSC!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cactuscorn said:
good to have ya. we love rippin up build specs! its been a few days so most of us are gettin antsy for the next vic... i mean friend in need.
looking forward to the ripping...bring it!..

This is all I have so far....looking at forks currently, leaning towards the '06 Fox Talas 36

* Frame Size & Color: Large - White
* Rear Shock: Fox DHX 5
* Fork:
* Brakes:
* Cranks: XTR M950 46/36/24 175mm
* Front Derailleur: XTR
* Rear Derailleur: XTR 8-Speed
* Pedals:
* Stem:
* Handlebar: Easton Carbon Monkey Lite 1.5" rise
* Seatpost: Thompson 410mm
* Saddle: SDG Kevlar-Ti Rails
* Bottom Bracket: XTR
* Cassette: Shimano XTR Ti 12-32
* Chain:
* Headset: Chris King Steelset
* Grips:
* Front Tire:
* Front Rim:
* Front Hub/Skewer:
* Rear Tire:
* Rear Rim:
* Rear Hub/Skewer:
* Shifters: XTR M-950 8-Speed
* Seatclamp:
* Weight: (Goal is 31 or below)

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Fork of choice on this board is the Zoke 66 SL - I got a 06 Zoke Z1 FR SL cheapo from Jenson recently, after deciding a 66 Light was too much fork and slackened the bike too much for all around trail riding. Z1 Lights are popular here too. Given your weight goal I would say Z1 SL, RShox Lyrik or Fox 36 are the ways to go. You can find a load of threads on brakes, hubs etc. too. Kings laced to DT 5.1s are popular.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Pothole said:
looking forward to the ripping...bring it!..

This is all I have so far....looking at forks currently, leaning towards the '06 Fox Talas 36

* Frame Size & Color: Large - White
* Rear Shock: Fox DHX 5
* Fork:
* Brakes:
* Cranks: XTR M950 46/36/24 175mm
* Front Derailleur: XTR
* Rear Derailleur: XTR 8-Speed
* Pedals:
* Stem:
* Handlebar: Easton Carbon Monkey Lite 1.5" rise
* Seatpost: Thompson 410mm
* Saddle: SDG Kevlar-Ti Rails
* Bottom Bracket: XTR
* Cassette: Shimano XTR Ti 12-32
* Chain:
* Headset: Chris King Steelset
* Grips:
* Front Tire:
* Front Rim:
* Front Hub/Skewer:
* Rear Tire:
* Rear Rim:
* Rear Hub/Skewer:
* Shifters: XTR M-950 8-Speed
* Seatclamp:
* Weight: (Goal is 31 or below)
I am slightly confused, why are you putting a CK Steelset on a bike that you are building as a heavyduty XC bike? You are taking a 1/4lb penalty there for no apparent reason.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nybike1971 said:
I am slightly confused, why are you putting a CK Steelset on a bike that you are building as a heavyduty XC bike? You are taking a 1/4lb penalty there for no apparent reason.
Oh, it's just a standard Chris King headset...I cut out another build to get the categories to start my build list and didn't get that deleted...

·
involuntary dismounter
2,391 Posts
Bikezilla said:
Make sure you have a camera and check the new bike picture guidelines!:D :p
wow...i didn't know there were actual guidelines! :eek: you really need more responsibilities at work! :D
and wise choice in getting your dining room table waxed by the same dude who does Pete's garage floor! :p

hey p-hole :lol:...i like it :thumbsup::p...welcome to the madness! :D
from what i hear, you'll really like the rfx...it's so my next bike!!! we definitely want to see pics! :D:)

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
cactuscorn said:
im 165 and lookin hard at the '07 am1sl. 31lbs is optomistic for a '06. 33 probobly, 32 maybe with full xtr or xo and a talus.
The '06 Z1 Light real weight is 5.6lbs with uncut steerer and TA (at least mine is). Also, the measured travel is 135-155mm. I was talking to Chad a few days ago and he said that he likes the way the new '07 AM1 SL rides, and he doesn't think the damper is subpar.

My experience with Talas forks has not been positive, especially with the 36, but I know other people are very happy with these forks. Granted they have only been on rentals and so the forks could have been abused or I did not manage to set them up correctly but the general feeling was either mush or oversprung, I could never get good compliance in the rough and adequate midstroke support on bigger hits. If you go the Talas way make sure you get the RC2 and not the Talas R. The adjustable low-speed compression is crucial to make that fork run well.

·
involuntary dismounter
2,391 Posts
wilks said:
yep - i don't believe in emoticoms - they are for kiwis and female flux riders in AZ
:rolleyes:
:prft::prft:

see how useful they are??? :p

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
dHarriet said:
:rolleyes:
:prft::prft:

see how useful they are??? :p
growing up in England we learned pretty fast not to qualify our sarcasm! it does get me in trouble at work occasionally, there are plenty of people over here that are very dry (many on this board have me in stitches) but i wish people would say funny stuff and not qualify it with a "just kidding" for fear of offending......i think it is better to keep people guessing as to if you are being sarcastic or not....my friends and family think that not enough people over here are offensive enough! and i tend to agree...America has gone soft with all it's political correctness ..JMO but there it is......PS how's that for a thread derailment?

·
involuntary dismounter
2,391 Posts
wilks said:
growing up in England we learned pretty fast not to qualify our sarcasm! it does get me in trouble at work occasionally, there are plenty of people over here that are very dry (many on this board have me in stitches) but i wish people would say funny stuff and not qualify it with a "just kidding" for fear of offending......i think it is better to keep people guessing as to if you are being sarcastic or not....my friends and family think that not enough people over here are offensive enough! and i tend to agree...America has gone soft with all it's political correctness ..JMO but there it is......PS how's that for a thread derailment?
although i agree with you...i think it's hard to do that when you don't know the people you're talking to. i am routinely sarcastic and offensive...but i can usually gauge people's body language to ensure that i'm not going over the top...and my expressions and body language suggest to them that i'm not actually serious...even if they're subtle. that's all very hard to do online. so if the emicons prevent me from pissing off a bunch of strangers...i'm all for it...because this is supposed to be fun...and bitterness is not fun...at least not to me.

and that's a top notch thread derailment...and i should know...i'm a pro!

whew...whole post with no emicons! :D

UGH...couldn't do it...:madman::p

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
wilks said:
wilk, aren't your bangers and mashers getting cold? get that tea kettle brewing and for the love of the queen, please go brush your teeth!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.