Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to go with a Fox 36 Talas for the front of the new RFX..I like the travel adjust option, and those 36mm tubes are schweet. So, which one of you big money guys that scores a new fork every year is going to sell me their used one? R or RC2 model is fine.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rroeder said:
Not too many homers on Fox equipped RFX's, a buddy has one on his Nomad and loves it, that's a nice fork.
Looking at the RFX Setup FAQ sticky, it appears that about 40% of the bikes posted there are Fox 36 equipped, which actually surprised me.

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
Pothole said:
Looking at the RFX Setup FAQ sticky, it appears that about 40% of the bikes posted there are Fox 36 equipped, which actually surprised me.
The question is, do they still have their 36s? I got rid of mine months ago. I didn't like the TALAS model but the Van was actually pretty good on most everything but longs DH runs. Damper tends to get overwhelmed when going through long rough sections.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
SCUBAPRO said:
The question is, do they still have their 36s? I got rid of mine months ago. I didn't like the TALAS model but the Van was actually pretty good on most everything but longs DH runs. Damper tends to get overwhelmed when going through long rough sections.
Ah, good point. I didn't consider that....I like that 'Zoke 66 SL but it only compresses down to 140mm so I'm concerned it won't be as good of climber as the 36. Anybody have insight otherwise?

Side note: It'd be sweet to get a 'Garage' feature on this site like my dirt bike site...this is my garage at Thumpertalk

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/garage.php?do=viewvehicle&vid=1403

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Some of these forks are stupid expensive new, I'm assuming your on a budget cause your asking about a used Fox. I bought a Rock Shox Domain, has some nice features but is 1/2lb heavier than most of the high end forks, if you want coil then you might look at one, you definitely want the travel adj for climbing and it has Uturn 115-160mm, as well as the Maxle which is handy.

·
I've got a Stiffee
913 Posts
I'm gonna be selling my 36 Vanilla RC2 if you're interested. I would definately not get the Talas version, but the Vanilla I've been very happy with.....very plush and stiff fork. I'm just wanting some more travel so looking into a 66.

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
FXRob said:
I'm gonna be selling my 36 Vanilla RC2 if you're interested. I would definately not get the Talas version, but the Vanilla I've been very happy with.....very plush and stiff fork. I'm just wanting some more travel so looking into a 66.
What's wrong with the Talas version? Just curious cause my buddy has one on his Nomad he bought this past summer and he hammered it all season and loves it.

Does the Vanilla have adj travel?

·
I've got a Stiffee
913 Posts
rroeder said:
What's wrong with the Talas version? Just curious cause my buddy has one on his Nomad he bought this past summer and he hammered it all season and loves it.

Does the Vanilla have adj travel?
Many have complained about the lack of plushness on the 36 Talas. No the Vanilla does not have travel adjust. It isn't so tall that you really need it on an RFX though.....only on really really steep stuff have I wished I could crank it down.

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
FXRob said:
Many have complained about the lack of plushness on the 36 Talas. No the Vanilla does not have travel adjust. It isn't so tall that you really need it on an RFX though.....only on really really steep stuff have I wished I could crank it down.
I think those that have complained of the Talas had the earlier versions that A. bottomed really hard off drops and for bigger guys and B. Had 10-20mm of travel loss (hello, 1st gen 66 sl and totem 2 steps??).

I'd recommend getting an '07 if you consider getting a Talas 36 as they've apparently addressed those issues, plus have 160mm of travel now. Also, I'd get RC2 version so you can set it up for trail riding and dial in the high speed comp. for doing bigger stuff. I've only got 25 or 30 days on mine so far, but it's held up great even on big hucks I usually reserve for the dh bike. I'm not saying it's as plush as a coil/oil setup (nor would I say that about a 66 SL), but it's pretty damn plush and a really versatile fork.

FWIW, I've got two buddies with the Van 36 RC2 with no issues. As FXRob said, it's only 545mm A2C at 160mm which is pretty reasonable for a RFX so the lack of travel adjust might not be as big of a deal.

Cheers,
EBX

FYI....this was on NSMB a while ago. I'm sure it was spoon fed to them from Fox, but it acknowledges the bottoming issues and how they addressed it with the '07's.

"Bottom-out control. If there was any critique of 2006 36s and 40s it was that they were hungry for full travel. They'd just gobble it up every time they got a chance. Near the end of their travel a small piston would ride into a cylinder, which theoretically increased oil pressure and controlled bottom-outs. But the fit between the piston and cylinder was too loose, and those high oil pressures never happened. Weak sauce.

The new bottom-out control rocks the strong sauce. First, the cylinder is cone-shaped. Second, the piston has an "interference fit," which means it actually touches the inside of the cone. Third, the cone has four sets of holes along its height. When the piston first hits the cone, oil flows through all four ports. Then it squeezes oil through three ports, then two, then just one. The oil pressure builds up gradually, and it builds big.

The old bottom setup generated 80 pounds of bottom-out resistance. The new one generates 600 pounds. HUGE DIFFERENCE! The resistance starts around 1 1/4 inches from the bottom of the stroke and builds smoothly from there. And one more adjustment: The little piston can be moved up or down to engage the cone sooner or later. "

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
His is an '07 with 160mm travel, good to know that ebxtreme, thanks.

My Domain has the same travel/A2C as the Van36 and I definitely have used the travel adj on the rides I've done with extended climbing, I also tend to ride with a group that has all kinds of bikes from trail to XC to FR, so lowering the front end helps keep the guys on shorter travel bikes in sight :)

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
we rode the '07 float 32 rc2 at thc last year, rode it hard, and i never heard a single complaint. those with '06 experience talked of the vast improvements accross the board. too bad the talus wasnt available to ride yet. but i share yer need of a adjustable fork and thats why my '07 36 wont stay on my '07 rfx.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I had an 06 Fox 36 Talas on my 6 pack. I put an 07 36 Float RC2 on it Sept 06 and sold my 06. MAKE sure you get an 07 and an RC2 Talas or Float. I just measured to make sure-but the stanchion showing is a full 165mm-and my zip tie verfies I use all the travel on big drops. W/out the RC2-one has to run too much air pressure to prevent bottoming all the time (a friend has an R on his specialized enduro). With the RC2 set the sag at 25% (whatever you prefer) and if you are blowing thru the travel-start adjusting the high/low speed compression. The fork did fine in Whistler/Vancouver. That said, I did acquire an 07 Stinky and put an 07 66SL on it-GREAT Fork.

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
I might have an '05 36 Talas for sale. Just replaced it with an '07 66 sl ata.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.