Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to give up on the current rear brake hose routing,has anyone tried the down tube? Please post pic if done successfully. Going with a braided steel hose,have they worked better?

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
Inspired by the 2007 Reign X routing, this worked out slick as can be. With the shock fully compressed the cables/hoses make a nice smooth S-bend. I'm still amazed they haven't gone this way with the standard Reigns in 2007. That's a couple of nylon P-clips on the water bottle boss, and currently just a cable tie at the top of the downtube. Full length gear housing between the shifter and the first stop on the rear swingarm.

Attachments

·
Registered
336 Posts
Brilliant!

Rocky,

Brilliant! That looks awesome. What is that little thingy? Is it two of those plastice cable routers just screwed into the bottle cage hole? Could you still run a cage? With night rides slowly approaching I still need a bottle cage for the battery. Thanks for the idea.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
520 Posts
that looks great, what have you done with the cable up near the headtube??

I think it may be do-able on an 05, its got me thinking about my rig.
i will get some jagwire l3 titanium cable outters to match the hope hydro hoses and re jig the cable run.

G

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
That's a 15" 06 frame. It should work with the '05 frame. It's just a pair of plastic P-clips, one a 1/8" for the 4mm shifter cable and the other a 1/4" for the Avid brake hose.

It could likely work with a Vista-Lite Nightstick battery mount because it could go under the P-clips but I think most of the bottle cages would hang up on the cable/hose.

The key thing is to depressurize the shock and run the swing arm to full compression to make sure nothing pulls or gets kinked at 100% travel. That's why I used the top bottle cage bolt, the bottom one would have resulted in a sharp bend in the hose at full compression.

The top cable routing isn't so elegant just jet, I've just zap strapped them to the downtube for now. A more elegant solution is in the works.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
rockyuphill said:
Inspired by the 2007 Reign X routing, this worked out slick as can be. With the shock fully compressed the cables/hoses make a nice smooth S-bend. I'm still amazed they haven't gone this way with the standard Reigns in 2007. That's a couple of nylon P-clips on the water bottle boss, and currently just a cable tie at the top of the downtube. Full length gear housing between the shifter and the first stop on the rear swingarm.
something like this on both the rocker and the downtube would look pretty nice as well :

Attachments

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
Does that work with the stock length lines? I'm pretty sick of my cables rubbing my calves every time I hit something that takes some compression in the back.

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
I was installing the new Avid Juicy's and just considering the standard routing and needing to cut the rear hose when I started playing with this. A friend has an 05 Reign and has had that same problem with the brake hose kinking and had ghost shifting in the rear. When I saw the ReignX pics from Interbike I tried the downtube routing, and the standard hose length is just right with the extra length. I think that once you have a frame larger than an 18", the standard hose length that is shipped with the Avid brake might be getting a bit short, so you might need to use a Goodridge hose just to get a longer uncut hose.

I needed a new piece of gear cable casing to run the full length housing from shifter to swingarm and a new inner cable.

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Thanks for the cable routing tips!! I just got my '05 frame in yesterday and was just looking at how I want to set that up.

First of all, I intend to drill out the cable stops on the seatstay. Riding in the PNW means cables get super nasty during the winter and I don't want to have to deal with changing them every month...so I'm a full length housing fan. Also, this should eliminate any ghost shifting issues upon compression, no?

I might give this routing a try though....although I'd likely use the problem solver stick on cable guides instead of zip-tying it around the downtube. Those seem to stay on pretty well.

Cheers,
EBX

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
This is how I routed the (Avid BB7 Mechanical Discs) line on my 05 Reign. Bought the housing guides at my LBS. I mounted the lower one where I did so it would have clearance with my water bottle cage (Specialized Rib Cage Pro - MTB). YMMV.

There is another way that works if your stock lines are too short and I'll post that later.

Attachments

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Very interesting

Definitely very interesting and worth a read by all Trance/Reign owners. Might give it a try with the RD cable, but too worried with the rear brake cable as I haven't had any issues on my XL Trance.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Just ordered the self adhesive cable solvers for the headtube end of things, just need to get some p-clips or fashion a plastic strap of some kind for the bidon bolt.

I dont use the bidon bolts anyways, so no great loss in re routing the cable.

Have order also some Jagwire l3 Titanium cable outter which should match my Hope braided brakeline, so i will get the lbs to do the re route then.

Then my pride and joy will be perfect. :cool:

G

·
Registered
67 Posts
On my small Reign 2, I've unclipped the rear brake cable clip on the top tube and locked the cable outer into the rear seat stay clip so that it doesn't slide at this point. Now the cable slides through the front top tube clip under compression, which looks pretty cool :)

The gear cables did this anyway. No need to re-route...

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.