Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
I say stumpy

While I really like the ultra clean looks and potential of the Prophet, the Stumpy has just been a tried and true performer year in and year out. Give the Prophet a couple more years to work out any kinks that it may have (and I don't know that it does, check the Cannondale forum to see what riders a re saying) and perhaps my opinion might change.

Good luck in choosing your bike. Let us know what you decide.

Bob

·
Registered
310 Posts
well, lets just say that the prophet is one of the most versatile bikes. It can go from a xc marathon, to droping 35 ft. into a tranny. It all depends on what you want to do with the bike. Considering the prophet with its 140 travel, you can definetly consider it an AM bike with FR capabilities. The stumpy on the other hand, has 120 travel with almost the same weight. IMO, the stumpy is a nice touring/marathon bike, but nothing more. A friend used to have a prophet with a sherman TPC 170mm and was hucking huge drops (25-30ft). Of course the the standard non THRU 12 swingarm isn't built for that kind of abuse, and he ended up cracking his swingarm. Due to Cannondale's lifetime warranty he was able to get a brand new one.
Go for the Prophet!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I lost some sleep over this one since it is over two grand for my second mountain bike ever.

I really like them both, but the prophet was just too much bike for me right now. I don't think I'm gonna start into the kind of aggresive riding that the prophet would allow for some time, and in the mean time I think I'd rather have a bike that was built more for comfort than endurance. The prophet is probably a better bike. It feels better constructed than the stumpy even if the engineering is a couple of iterations behind and somewhat non-standard (i.e. more limited and possibly more expensive repair/upgrade options). My next bike will probably be a prophet, or something like it (light weight all mountain bike with solid engineering & construction). The stumpy also feels just a hair more graceful and lighter if less durable or well crafted. It is also pretty plush and sexy to look at. I guess the bottom line is that I've always wanted a stumpy. The Prophet almost got me to change mind though. Almost.

·
Registered
205 Posts
These two bikes aren't really in the same class. If you were comparing Enduro to Prophet or Stumpy to Rush that would be one thing, so you may want to play with another comparison.

Check out the rush 1000, it's more the stumpy's size, and it's going to be lighter than the prophet, with the build quality you noticed on the prophet. I've tried all of the bikes in question, for what' that's worth.

Here's the Rush 1000 page.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.