Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
06 P2 is $899 at LBS. 06 SC Jackal is $1050 at LBS. They are both stock, same as listed on their websites.

I ride more Dirt Jumping than urban, not sure, I know the jackal has a little better components...

Discuss, will check back in an hour when I'm at the office.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Your opinion has no bearing, you have ridden neither.

The Jackal is a very purpose-oriented machine. It will DJ like a beast, but will not ride all that well for much of anything else (trail riding and the likes of it). So if you want a super-sick DJ machine, the Jackal is the way to go.

I'm not very fond of the way the new p.bikes ride, and was never happy with Specialized's cost-cutting techniques and the amount of warranties that had to be dealt with. But the old-style p.bikes did ride pretty well, and were fairly versatile.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Actually, I've ridden the 06 P.2, thankyouvery much. just 'cause I'm a newb doesn't mean I don't know stuff :incazzato:

It seems like a fairly good bike (can't say I like how the Dirt Jam feels), but for 850, I say go with it! My LBS sells it for $1000, so for that price . . . yeah.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Well, you haven't ridden the Jackal, so you can't make a fair comparison. And either way, I highly doubt that you're LBS let you take the bikes to the local jump spot and ride them for a few hours before bringing them back.

Is that the price for the p.2 a1? or p.2 cromo? The Cromo retails at 880, and the A1 at 1100. Either way, the forks specced on those bikes are completely garbage, and if you weigh over 170 pounds or ride aggressively, you'll crack the spring retainer. Marzocchi will not warranty it.

See if you can talk the shop down a bit on the Jackal.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
same as XSL said, the jackal feels very funky on the trail (only place i've ridden one) and yes, is that the price for the P.2 A1 or the P.2 Cr-Mo ? I used to ride a P.1 Cr-Mo. that was a freaking awesome frame. tested out a P.2 Cr-Mo pretty much the same feeling, but the P.1 is really all you need. also, keep in mind the more you spend, the less you are going to have when lets say...you want a different fork ? the P. and Jackal bolth come with heavy a$$ marzocchi DJ forks. (Dirt Jam is actually lighter) but yesterday, I was at meldrum and some guy was rocking the new rockshox DJ fork. OMG that thing was the $hit. get the P.2 and put one of those on there and you'll be bombproof

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
The Dirt Jumper is a MUCH better fork than the Dirt Jam. But yes, you're right, they are both quite heavy. I thought the p.1 cromo and p.2 cromo were different frames?

So... When are you going to be a Rockshox convert?

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
The Dirt Jumper is a MUCH better fork than the Dirt Jam. But yes, you're right, they are both quite heavy. I thought the p.1 cromo and p.2 cromo were different frames?

So... When are you going to be a Rockshox convert?
yea, bigtime the DJIII etc are better forks then the dirt jam, but I would rather save weight than have strength. when am I going to rockshox ? when I can get a used 06 pike for cheap. I just cant afford 450+ bucks for a fork. especially from manitou, I got my kingpin for $99.00, my stance came on my P.1, but figure $200.00, my travis was $299.99 and then my sherman flick was $250.00. all of these forks have treated me like god. i'm sure a pike would as well, but I just cant afford them at the moment. just going to use my manitou's and use the DOC for an upcoming project.

·
Registered
34 Posts
specialized fixed the 2 big issuses of older Ps with the 06. there's enough room for a full X-up for us big-footsand better drop-outs for those running SS bolt-on hubs. then again the jackel never realy had these problems.
geo-wise, they are both so alike, you can't judge on that. (if you want to any way the jackel is a little longer, but steeper as well.)
component wise, the jackel stands out. that $100 goes a long way. brakes i would actualy trust, and italian, not tiawanise, made fork and cranks that will last. the wheels are a little nicer, but unless you eather don't rideor have never cased a jump in your life, both will go eventualy.
ridse wise the jackel is stiff. stiff as the 8 hour boners they warn you about in the adds. ironicly, it's a little easer to get the front end up and manual on the P. these diffrences are minor, the P is stiff and the jackel manuals, just a little less so.
all and all both are good bikes and you will be happy with eather. ignoring the components and cost, (you'll break/upgrade stuff anyway, but the frame wil last a while.) i would split it like this: dj>urban/park = jackel urban/park>dj = P. the jackel feels better at speed cause it's longer and the steeper HA helps you get through tight, steep, real-man djs. the P manuals and stalls easer and felt a little easer to bunny-hop(?).

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
On the Santa Cruz site it looks like the Jackal runs an 05 DJ III, or that might just be an old picture.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
todd_freeride said:
yea, bigtime the DJIII etc are better forks then the dirt jam, but I would rather save weight than have strength. when am I going to rockshox ? when I can get a used 06 pike for cheap. I just cant afford 450+ bucks for a fork. especially from manitou, I got my kingpin for $99.00, my stance came on my P.1, but figure $200.00, my travis was $299.99 and then my sherman flick was $250.00. all of these forks have treated me like god. i'm sure a pike would as well, but I just cant afford them at the moment. just going to use my manitou's and use the DOC for an upcoming project.
I paid 150 for each of my Shermans a couple years back. I've got to agree with you that they're are awesome forks. I've never had a problem, but I do take pretty good care of my stuff (and I've still broken 3 Marzocchi forks...)

I paid about 270 including ship for my then-new o5 Pike SL. I bought it at the end of 2005. Best 270 bucks I've ever spent.

I'm going to see if I can snag a cheap 36 from one of our distributors for the new ride I'm starting to accumulate parts for.

I would not sacrifice strength to save weight. As I said, the plastic spring retainer cracks very easily in the Dirt Jam forks, especially if the rider is over 170 pounds or rides aggressively. Marzocchi even recommends that heavier riders don't use that fork.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
P2 Specs:

Frame A1 Premium Aluminum w/forged horizontal dropouts
Fork Marzocchi Dirt Jam Pro, 100mm-travel
Headset Tank FS
Rims/Wheels Sun Ditch Witch
Hubs Aluminum Disc
Spokes 14-gauge stainless-steel
Tires Roller, 26 x 2.3
Crankset TruVativ Hussefelt ISIS
Chainwheel 38T, heat-treated-chromoly
Bottom Bracket TruVativ DH ISIS splined
Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore
Rear Cogs Shimano, 8-speed: 11-32
Shifters Shimano Alivio
Handlebars Oversize-aluminum, 45mm-rise
Tape/Grips Telluride dual-density Kraton
Stem TruVativ Hussefelt, 7-degree-rise
Brake Levers Hayes HML-1 mechanical disc
Brakes Hayes HMX-2 mechanical disc
Pedals Aluminum Platform
Saddle Jump, 8mm chromoly rails
Seat Post Aluminum, micro-adjustable
Accessories & Extras ISCG mounted TruVativ BOX chain guide

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
I paid 150 for each of my Shermans a couple years back. I've got to agree with you that they're are awesome forks. I've never had a problem, but I do take pretty good care of my stuff (and I've still broken 3 Marzocchi forks...)

I paid about 270 including ship for my then-new o5 Pike SL. I bought it at the end of 2005. Best 270 bucks I've ever spent.

I'm going to see if I can snag a cheap 36 from one of our distributors for the new ride I'm starting to accumulate parts for.

I would not sacrifice strength to save weight. As I said, the plastic spring retainer cracks very easily in the Dirt Jam forks, especially if the rider is over 170 pounds or rides aggressively. Marzocchi even recommends that heavier riders don't use that fork.
yea, I would get a 2005 and under pike. but I have fallen in love with the new look of the 2006 pikes. so i'm waiting up for one of those. a 36 eh ? those are funky/cool forks. but the only one I have ridden had been slammed down to like 110mm of travel. that didnt do the fork justace. after whistler, I'm thinking of getting one of the new fox forks. probably the vinalla at 140mm of travel for my ibex. the travis really just isnt cutting it, its more of a full on FR/DH fork.

as for the dirtjam, I wouldent know if they had problems. I had a dirtjam comp for a while and rid that fork really hard. also my friend has a '05 P.2 and he rides crazy hard on that dirtjam pro.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
todd_freeride said:
yea, I would get a 2005 and under pike. but I have fallen in love with the new look of the 2006 pikes. so i'm waiting up for one of those. a 36 eh ? those are funky/cool forks. but the only one I have ridden had been slammed down to like 110mm of travel. that didnt do the fork justace. after whistler, I'm thinking of getting one of the new fox forks. probably the vinalla at 140mm of travel for my ibex. the travis really just isnt cutting it, its more of a full on FR/DH fork.

as for the dirtjam, I wouldent know if they had problems. I had a dirtjam comp for a while and rid that fork really hard. also my friend has a '05 P.2 and he rides crazy hard on that dirtjam pro.
2005 was the first year of the Pike. 2006 is just different stickers/colors available. I would take the Pike over the Vanilla. If you're thinking about getting rid of the Travis, let me know. Where is it lacking? As far as I'm concerned, the dampening in that fork is terrific.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
That's a 2005 P.2! That changes things. I like those frames a lot, and those brakes stop very well after you've broken them in, but I have no experience with any of the Shimano components. I've used the SRAM components on the 06, though, on my friends Hardrock Sport.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
big time take the P.2 over the jackal. the frame will make you smile whenever you get on it.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
2005 was the first year of the Pike. 2006 is just different stickers/colors available. I would take the Pike over the Vanilla. If you're thinking about getting rid of the Travis, let me know. Where is it lacking? As far as I'm concerned, the dampening in that fork is terrific.
the dampening rocks, whare it is lacking is on the trail. its kind of heavy and the springs for it are kind of odd. I like my forks pretty soft, so it basically is uncontrollable for trail use. put in a stiffer spring and I dont like it as much (aka not as plush) but I just have to get used to it.

·
Moose Enthusiast
237 Posts
dirtyharry said:
That's a 2005 P.2! That changes things. I like those frames a lot, and those brakes stop very well after you've broken them in, but I have no experience with any of the Shimano components. I've used the SRAM components on the 06, though, on my friends Hardrock Sport.
the hmx-2's are horrible i have some and you cant endo even if you throw all your weight over the bars and ive tried tuning them every way i can.......and i can engage them fully and still pedal in a high gear so maybe mine are just messed up but i would still highly advise against those brakes

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
hofferfish said:
the hmx-2's are horrible i have some and you cant endo even if you throw all your weight over the bars and ive tried tuning them every way i can.......and i can engage them fully and still pedal in a high gear so maybe mine are just messed up but i would still highly advise against those brakes
no, your brakes are just screwed. I'm even running a 160mm tektro rotor up front and I can endo. the HMX-2's are amazing brakes for what they cost. sure they arent a BB7 or anything like that, but they last forever and are maintenence free.

·
Moose Enthusiast
237 Posts
todd_freeride said:
no, your brakes are just screwed. I'm even running a 160mm tektro rotor up front and I can endo. the HMX-2's are amazing brakes for what they cost. sure they arent a BB7 or anything like that, but they last forever and are maintenence free.
ok i must say my rear brake is fine and i think my front pads might be glased but the ***holes at my LBS refuse to order me new pads cuz they think they are still good so im confused but it doesnt really matter cuz my bike fell of a trailer cuz a tie down failed going 40mph so i need new brakes anyway, because mine are completely unuseable cuz they were so smashed up so ya ........and any way my mx2's couldnt endo even when they were new:madman: :madman:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts