·
Registered
412 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sus13 said:
The '05 Nixon clears my medium frame... could be an issue with small frames. Anyway, for a solid solution you could run a higher stack headset. For King headsets, Ventana makes a nice 4mm or 7mm crown race.

Headset:
http://www.canecreek.com/s3_plus_5.html

King crown race:
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/z...TANDARD&PRODUCT.ID=3120&CATEGORY.ID=469&MODE=
Thanks Sus,

Ronnie helped me via email about the headset. I'm going to buy the CaneCreek headset for now since Ventana things are really hard to buy in Japan especially the small parts.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
StabbedDawg said:
Thanks Sus,

Ronnie helped me via email about the headset. I'm going to buy the CaneCreek headset for now since Ventana things are really hard to buy in Japan especially the small parts.
I'll bet you will have no problem ordering direct from Ventana on the web, from that link I sent you. But as I said I think your problem will be solved with a non-zero stack headset like a Chris King.

Ronnie.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is too bad the distributor of Ventana is famous for manipulating manufacturer not to gray market things. It is worse that the distributor probably don't even have the 7mm crown race in stock!! Also, I wend little over board buying the frame, so for now, I'm going to buy S3 Plus 5. Not sure plus 5 mm would be enogh and I know what you mean about 7mm crown race would be safer choice.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
scruffylooking said:
Wow, I had you pegged as a westerner in Japan. I was totally wrong! :D BTW, your photography is sharp, your garage is nice, and the bikes rock, too. I'm going to have to consider .Mac now.

Oh, and I'll stop gushing, too.
:thumbsup: I sold you .Mac! I should be awarded by Apple:D .

You will enjoy using iLife. Looking forward to see your bike photos on dotMac then.

Thank you for the compliment.

·
rain rain go away...
1,195 Posts
grinding is not going to give u a perfectly flat piece, unless you're using a tool grinder (machine shop) but i'm assumming you're not. sorry but that doesn't sound like a good idea. the race needs to be bang-on perpendicular to the steertube. isn't that the main reason for facing the headtube?

·
Registered
199 Posts
StabbedDawg said:
I already got the Ventana crown race.
Here's the photo.

Only draw back of plus 7 mm crown race is its look.
It looks like fork is coming off from the head :).
For that reason, if one can solve the conflict with adding 5mm then Can Creek headset might be a better choice.
Hi, I was just wondering if you got your ventana race sent from the US? I live in Thailand and i have the same problem. We can't really get any Ventana stuff out here. Can you advice me on how you got yours? You help would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tayancycles said:
Hi, I was just wondering if you got your ventana race sent from the US? I live in Thailand and i have the same problem. We can't really get any Ventana stuff out here. Can you advice me on how you got yours? You help would be most appreciated.
Hi, I got the Ventana Crown Race, King Headset from one of the sponsor of this site, Competitive Cyclist. It arrived in two days from Arizona to Japan. Just amazing.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tayancycles said:
Thanks stabbeddawg. So did you just ordered it off the web and sent to Japan? BTW cool blog you got there! Are you a graphic designer?
NP. Yes, ordered on their site. What a great webshop to have the particular parts in stock to begin with, and the service was super fast.

Thanks about the blog, but most of the graphic is coming from the template of iWeb for Mac, I will take the compliment if you tell me my photos look nice ;).

Hope you solve your problem with Comptetitive Cyclist.

·
Registered
199 Posts
StabbedDawg said:
NP. Yes, ordered on their site. What a great webshop to have the particular parts in stock to begin with, and the service was super fast.

Thanks about the blog, but most of the graphic is coming from the template of iWeb for Mac, I will take the compliment if you tell me my photos look nice ;).

Hope you solve your problem with Comptetitive Cyclist.
Thanks! I'll keep you posted. I think you can still take credit for your site. A tool is as good as a tool without a creative user. Your photos are great! keep up the good work.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
peachy-B said:
grinding is not going to give u a perfectly flat piece, unless you're using a tool grinder (machine shop) but i'm assumming you're not. sorry but that doesn't sound like a good idea. the race needs to be bang-on perpendicular to the steertube. isn't that the main reason for facing the headtube?
yes, you can
there's a lip on it, you grind that OFF and get down to the main part of the race
see the pic below, on the top one there's a small lip facing up
simply remove that flush with the rest of the race
you have to be careful of what you are doing, but I have done it a bunch of times and never had a single issue... no creaks, no binding.
I check it with a digital caliper going all the way around

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.