Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
guidedbybicycles
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm trying to select a fork for the 07 Superlight frame I've ordered, and I wanted to go back to a Marzocchi after trying a Fox. I'm keenest on the 2006 Marathon XC, but here aren't many reviews here, and the ones that are there say it is terrible.

The 05 seems to get great reviews. Are there lots of happy 06 owners out there who didn't post reviews, or did the fork really go downhill for 06?

Please let me know if you have any experience with the fork.

Thanks,
N.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If it has the TST dampening adjusting cartridge like the '06 Marathon Race I have, then yes it is problematic. Mine has failed 3 times and I'm thinking of putting a Fox F80RLC on my hardtail to replace it. I don't have any complaints about the ride of the fork but it just requires more maintenance than I'd like.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Marathon 06

I have an 06'.

The fork is sweet. I have not had any issues with the TST cartridge, but I do not adjust the TST that often. As long as you dont mind changing the oil after a few rides, and playing with the oil levels than you should love the fork. If you dont change the oil soon after you break in the fork, it will not work properly, not even close really. I think some of the people who gave this fork a bad review dont really understand this important part of owning the fork.

I switched over from a Revelation that I had been riding most of the season and have not looked back.

Get it, you wont regret it! :thumbsup:

·
guidedbybicycles
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
really?

Changing the oil after a few rides sounds like a lot of work to me. I wanted to get back on a marz after liking my old 04 MX Comp better than my 05 Fox FRLT (am I strange?).

I liked the performance/non maintainence of that fork, but I'm after something a bit more adjustable now.

Thanks,
N.

·
Natural body armor
2,178 Posts
I have an 05 Marathon XC and I think it's a great fork. I had some issues with the TST cartdrige, which meant a couple extra trips to Marzocchi (they are close for me :D ).
I really didn't mind that, as I always learn something when I go there, their techs are really cool people.

Recommended oil change is every 100 hours of regular use (more often for intense use).

It's part of the bike maintenance and not really that difficult. BTW I have posted some instruction on how to perform oil change for the XC 05. Take a look there and tell me what you think.

I know people that never change their forks oil...:madman: but oil does make a big difference in forks performance, so better do it.
ZT

·
guidedbybicycles
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
looks good

Those instruction are pretty good, I'll save that page, thanks for that.

Does anybody know if there is a big difference in quality of internals between the 50s' and 06s'? Or should I bite the bullet and get the XC700SLs?

Thanks.

·
kneecap
1,642 Posts
I would contact Marzocchi by phone for info between the two forks you are interseted in, & talk to someone in service if possible. Like the turtle said, they really are good folks, & generally very helpful.
I'm running an 05 marathon on one of my bikes, it's been a great fork, & I do all my oil changes, which in my opinion are quite simple to perform.
Something to consider between the two, the 05 is international standard brake mount, the 06 is a post mnt. fork.......

·
guidedbybicycles
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just ordered an 07 XC 700SL. I'll post pics/impressions when I get my 07 Santa Cruz Superlight. Thanks for all the responses.
ntj.

·
Registered
36 Posts
hey kneecap what does it means a post mnt. fork? i saw that instead of the regular disc brake mount what those susp have is two screw holes. how does that work? i m gettin the 2006 mx pro that works whit the same post mount so i would apreciate any help

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
well not sure what people mean by problems with the tst if they mean air in the oil then using the new oil should help (Aeroshell fluid41). If they mean the bladder blowing up well that I guess happened for heavier riders who had to put alot of psi in the tst side,

If it was me I would spring for the 07 corsa or xc700 the new air system feels so much better and no more air in the tst side so shouldnt have any more bladder explosions.

·
kneecap
1,642 Posts
alejoint666 said:
hey kneecap what does it means a post mnt. fork? i saw that instead of the regular disc brake mount what those susp have is two screw holes. how does that work? i m gettin the 2006 mx pro that works whit the same post mount so i would apreciate any help
A post mount fork refers to the brake caliper mounting configuration which bolt into the rear of the fork "posts", rather than the widely used "international standard" system which mount through the side (perpendicular) holes of the fork .
So, if your current brake caliper is designed for the international standard you will have to purchase an adaptor & probably a larger rotor to fit the post mount system.
Confusing, ain't it?
You might luck out & have a brake system that already uses an adaptor to fit an international standard, & then you only have to remove it & you're good to go.
Perhaps someone will post a pic. of both for you...

·
Registered
629 Posts
Great site - thanks. I sent you a form email from your website just asking if this proceedure covers the "TST Cartridge Oil Change" as listed on the Zoke maintenance page.

Thanks again - I have 2 of these forks and this could save me $200 per year at my riding rate.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Marathon XC oil change and TST service

Jesterrider said:
Great site - thanks. I sent you a form email from your website just asking if this proceedure covers the "TST Cartridge Oil Change" as listed on the Zoke maintenance page.

Thanks again - I have 2 of these forks and this could save me $200 per year at my riding rate.
Well I follow the instructions, made a few rookie mistakes and spent a bunch of time trying to get the iol levels right - but - I think it is all set now. To change the oil in the TST I used a 13mm wrench on the nut located on the shaft and a cresent wrench on the nut located on the top cap area. Break the seal and watch out - the oil is full and makes a mess if you're not ready for it. I drained it and filled it with Spectro 125/150 to be 100% full so that when I put the cap assembly back on it would overflow. This ensured no air was present. I'm not sure if this is right - but it is what I did and the TST works flawlessly in all settings. Asd for oil levels, again I used Golden Spectro 125/150 (7.5 wt) to fill the coil side to an undisclosed height as I could not see. What I do know is that I put at least a few syringes in and the ETA did not work at 1st try. More fluid and all was fine. Same with the TST side which controls rebound. That side is a pain to induct oil as you have to raise the fork as you add oil to suck it in. Take your time and spill a little - but hey - it worked.
Now - all oil changed, fork is functioning well and should be set for a while for sure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.