Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone here ridden a Komodo ? would this bike hold up to more freeride/allmountain/DJ needs ? I ask because i'm considering getting one. I would get the 2006 Komodo 1 its only 660 bucks so not much of a pain to upgrade as most of those parts are going to last a long while

I dunno, what are your opinions on the new Komodo ?

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Komodo

todd_freeride said:
has anyone here ridden a Komodo ? would this bike hold up to more freeride/allmountain/DJ needs ? I ask because i'm considering getting one. I would get the 2006 Komodo 1 its only 660 bucks so not much of a pain to upgrade as most of those parts are going to last a long while

I dunno, what are your opinions on the new Komodo ?
Todd, I work for Jamis and I have conducted many demo rides with all of our bikes and I can give you some of my input regarding Komodo. The Komodo 2.0 was demo'ed more than any other bike we offer. More guys used and abused the demo Komodos more than I'd like to thin k about. And obviously with demo bikes things are going to come out of adjustement and such but no major failures. Now, I will tell you, many people who rode the Komodos thought they were riding a full suspension bike. Why do I say this? because everbody kept there but's on the seat and when the front soaked up a bump, bam the rear wheel would nail the bump and the riders were reminded to stand and use some body english. I've seen a coupple bent seat post's due to this. All in all it's a crazy fun bike but remember to ride it like a hardtail in th rough.
Best of Luck in you desicion.
Rob
www.jamisbikes.com
;)

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
rvanderveur said:
Todd, I work for Jamis and I have conducted many demo rides with all of our bikes and I can give you some of my input regarding Komodo. The Komodo 2.0 was demo'ed more than any other bike we offer. More guys used and abused the demo Komodos more than I'd like to thin k about. And obviously with demo bikes things are going to come out of adjustement and such but no major failures. Now, I will tell you, many people who rode the Komodos thought they were riding a full suspension bike. Why do I say this? because everbody kept there but's on the seat and when the front soaked up a bump, bam the rear wheel would nail the bump and the riders were reminded to stand and use some body english. I've seen a coupple bent seat post's due to this. All in all it's a crazy fun bike but remember to ride it like a hardtail in th rough.
Best of Luck in you desicion.
Rob
www.jamisbikes.com
;)
thanks for the reply :) i'm going to love the Komodo. you see, I have been useing a Specialized P.2 for my enduro activities. The P.2 is purely amazing, but a little on the short side for trail and such. So no worries on me actually sitting down when it comes to bumps. Actually truth be told, I really dont ever sit, the only time I do sit is when i'm stopped. I know this because I was wondering why I had never had any seat issues, so I took the seat tube off my bike and ride it around. never sat down ;)

I dont know if you have ridden the P. series bikes, but they have a really low standover, making the bike comferatable and nimble while standing, is the Komodo in a 16.5 going to feel the same ?

also, what exactly is this bike leaning most twords ? Freeride/DJ or trail ? have jamis designed it for all three ?
-Thanks

·
Registered
144 Posts
todd_freeride said:
thanks for the reply :) i'm going to love the Komodo. you see, I have been useing a Specialized P.2 for my enduro activities. The P.2 is purely amazing, but a little on the short side for trail and such. So no worries on me actually sitting down when it comes to bumps. Actually truth be told, I really dont ever sit, the only time I do sit is when i'm stopped. I know this because I was wondering why I had never had any seat issues, so I took the seat tube off my bike and ride it around. never sat down ;)

I dont know if you have ridden the P. series bikes, but they have a really low standover, making the bike comferatable and nimble while standing, is the Komodo in a 16.5 going to feel the same ?

also, what exactly is this bike leaning most twords ? Freeride/DJ or trail ? have jamis designed it for all three ?
-Thanks
Komodo's are more Trail/Freeride and with lowering the travel on the fork you can use them for DJ. Actually, I know several guys that use them for DJ in stock form.

Best, Rob

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rvanderveur said:
Komodo's are more Trail/Freeride and with lowering the travel on the fork you can use them for DJ. Actually, I know several guys that use them for DJ in stock form.

Best, Rob
scary, I'm not sure I would trust the SR duro for DJ. I'm probably going to put a Sherman firefly on this bike. or something like what the 3.0 has, the Stance Flow.

good to know that it is more a trail/freeride bike, because thats kind of what my trails are like. sounds like this bike is perfict :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I actually just ordered a 2006 Komodo 2.0 and it's waiting for me at my house when i get home. It's my first new bike in about 4 years, the last bike i owned was a full suspension Scott Vertigo Pro. It was however too small for me. My friend and resident bike nut reccomended the Komodo to me saying it was the best bang for the buck. The one issue i am worried about is i am 6'6. He ordered me the largest frame size they offered, anyone know if i am going to have an issue?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.