Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My LBS who is an excellent dealer has a left over 06' Iguana for sale. It has a Mazzochi (spelling) air fork, disc brakes, deore derailleurs. He told me the fork alone is worth $359. He is willing to sell me the bike for $400 is that a resonable deal. I am 55 and about 240lbs. I'm looking for something that will handle well, take little jumps an all around woods type bike that is relaible. I don't like getting bashed and spent 3 1/2 hours in the ER last week becuase of a jump I didn't make. Now I'm off recuping for two weeks so I'm not looking at this bike to do crazy big things just have some fun and be competitive on the things I think I can do. What do the Giant MTB owners think of the Iguana? Wardie

·
Registered
519 Posts
its a great bike, my last bike was an 05 iguana, and loved it to bits.

but upgradis took hold and i moved on to a Reign as my back didnt agree on hardtails.

the frame is based on an XTC geometry, just a lower spec alloy. but still a great bike.

G

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Giant Iguana

Thanks for the reply. I think the Iguana is similar to a Trek 4500 in that it's intended for recreational use and every once in a while you can go out and bang it around. This bike is an 8 speed. I have a new set of LX levers I wonder if it would be worth the switch to go to 9speed? The LBS is really cool and they would do it probably for the price of the cassette. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Brings back memories - it was a toss up between the Iguana & a specialized hardrock comp back in 2001 (they were selling for around $1200 back then) and I ended up with the specialized mainly because of lifetime warranty & basically better service from the LBS.

I reckon the Iguana would probably make a top bike for what you are after.

As far as 9 speed is concerned, parts are generally easier to source (wider range of choice) for 9 speed but 8 speed components are probably a bit more durable. If the levers you have are better than the ones specced on the bike then go for the 9spd conversion. Make sure to check wether you get to keep the 8speed levers or if the LBS is taking them as part of the conversion deal. Chances are that the rear deraillieur is already a 9speed anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.