Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm assuming you have read the following from the 2006 manual and don't understand it.

“BOOST” FEATURE OF HIGH-SPEED COMPRESSION ADJUSTER (RC2 ONLY)
The high-speed compression adjuster is equipped with a maximum “Boost” setting. This setting offers increased bump force resistance well beyond
the adjuster's linear range up until the stop at full firm (clockwise).
To enable the “Boost” feature, turn the high-speed compression knob to the full in (clockwise) position to the stop with firm hand torque. You can
use a 3mm hex key to assist in turning the knob to the full in position or to untorque when de-tuning the “Boost” feature.

My understanding is you get a step change increase in high speed compression damping when you crank the HSC dial up that extra bit at the end of its adjustment range.

I haven't ridden the forks like that, so can't comment, but I'd imagine it would only be a good thing to have if you wanted to further add to the bottom out resistance of the fork, and didn't care about harsher ride you get. But this setting would only be the something I would do after I had the HYDRAULIC BOTTOM-OUT SYSTEM adjusted to full resistance (saying that it isn't meant to be very good at resisting bottoming in the 05, 06 models, it's been greatly improved for 07).

JT

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks JT

I have read that but what I was trying to work out is if it just effects the bottom out or the whole range of travel. My problem is I have bad wrists (from years of BMX when I was a kid) so I would like to run a softer spring to make it plusher for the first 5-6 inches then try to have the last bit firm up to help prevent bottom out. Im 220lbs and run a med spring, so I dont do huge drops or jumps. I was thinking of trying the soft srping with the boost on.

I will have a look at the internal bottom out as well, just need a manual to do it.

Cheers

·
Registered
66 Posts
The boost setting should work through the whole range of travel, as it's a high speed compression setting. Saying that, perhaps FOX have some smart configuration that makes it position sensitive. I'm afraid I'm not familiar enough with the internals.

At 220lbs, i'd be nervous running a softer spring, I suppose it depends on what sag you get with the medium, and whether you currently bottom the fork out.

If you do go to the softer spring, try getting the internal bottom out adjusted before resorting to the boost, as the boost will make the ride harsher on medium to big hits.

Manual is at http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tech_center/owners_manuals/06_40_en.pdf

Fox recommend you get a service centre to adjust the bottom out setting, but I'm pretty sure I've seen a few posts showing how to do it yourself, it isn't that complicated.

Good luck,

JT

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i tend to ride on my back wheel a lot and run heavy spring rates in the back. With the med spring in the fork I have not yet bottomed it and get normal sag. I also run a med spring in my Nixion on my trail bike.

thanks for your help
Rob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.