Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 Epic marathon and have never serviced the fork or brain (they have only recently gotten harser). Apparently spec does not service these (the rear) and it needs to go to Fox...per my LBS.

Two ?'s

1) does Spec do any exchanges to allow an upgrade to the 07/08 Spec brain?

2) Who have folks used for service for Fox made brains? How did it work out?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have heard of specialized replacing the fox shock with the AFR when it has gone bad, but I do not know if they will do an exchange if it is not broken. Never hurts to ask. I believe all the brain equipped shocks have to go back to Fox for service. I sent my 07' back to fox for rebuild and they did not charge me for it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The fork you can do yourself. Fox has some how to videos on their website. Bike shop should also be able to rebuild the fork.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Send the shock to Fox. As mentioned above, you can do your fork yourself, I did mine a few weeks ago. If you don't trust yourself, a LBS that carries Fox can usually do it. While you have the bike down, change your pivot bushings on your frame. That is a VERY noticeable difference. I replace mine every year. Only runs you about 30 bucks for the parts. It will feel like a new bike with all that done. I own an '06 Marathon as well. I have had two other Epic frames, and this one is by far my favorite.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fork

oldskoolm4 said:
Send the shock to Fox. As mentioned above, you can do your fork yourself, I did mine a few weeks ago. If you don't trust yourself, a LBS that carries Fox can usually do it. While you have the bike down, change your pivot bushings on your frame. That is a VERY noticeable difference. I replace mine every year. Only runs you about 30 bucks for the parts. It will feel like a new bike with all that done. I own an '06 Marathon as well. I have had two other Epic frames, and this one is by far my favorite.
What fork do you run on your marathon, I'm planning on servicing and then shelving the stock RLT and putting on a Man MRD R7 Absolute with the hope the platform will match up with the brain....

·
Registered
132 Posts
My 07' marathon has sealed cartridge bearings. I assumed that they never had to be replaced. Should I be replacing my bearings?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thx

oldskoolm4 said:
What bearing kit do you use and did you need special tools (bearing extractors , etc)

Thx!

·
Registered
492 Posts
beastwood9 said:
What fork do you run on your marathon, I'm planning on servicing and then shelving the stock RLT and putting on a Man MRD R7 Absolute with the hope the platform will match up with the brain....
I run a Fox RLC100, and its right on with the brain. It took awhile to get it dialed right where I want it, but once I got it where I wanted it it was perfect. I had an 03 I ran with a SID and it never felt right on. What kind of pressures are you running?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oldskoolm4 said:
I run a Fox RLC100, and its right on with the brain. It took awhile to get it dialed right where I want it, but once I got it where I wanted it it was perfect. I had an 03 I ran with a SID and it never felt right on. What kind of pressures are you running?
My fork is a 06 F100 RLT if I did not mention that earlier. I weigh 185#. 75# is the max pressure I will run, that gives me 13mm of sag with sag tested after riding on smooth pavement and gliding to stop. That is a my 'race' pressure. I will run 65-75# for training depending on the terrain. I have also found that running a full 12mm sag on the rear (manual says 9-12mm) has helped rear travel, handling, F/R balance.

I run about 5 clicks out from full slow on the fork which actually makes for a pretty quick rebound and I run the brain with noticable rebound damping (not sure but maybe 3-4 clicks from full slow). I use fork LO for long race uphills and pavement, I don't mess with the RLT midrange LO b/c it has no clicks and I like to be consistent.

Prob more than anyone wanted to know....:skep:

·
Doctor
264 Posts
oldskoolm4 said:
Where do you get the pivot bushings?

thanks

jeff

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi , I was one of racers 24hour of Moab , my Epic brain shock seal broke day before race. Thank God Fox had their service van there. I met Fox tech Nick Delauder , amazing guy who did rebuild my shock in 10 minutes!!!!! Parts (set of seals) will cost you no more than $20 and once you know how to , you can do rebuild in 10 - 15 minutes with almost no tools.NEVER mess with Brain cartridge (part sticking out of main shock in right angle - control valve). Nick told me that there is very high pressure and that I should never try to open this part. The only problem I ever experinced with my 03 Brain shock was that shock was loosing pressure. Fix it or ship it to Fox- it takes no more three weeks to get shock back- call them first, they will give you "service number" and directions how to ship it. Did you ever change your bearings , bushing ?? Like oldskoolm4 said , you should change them every year if you ride a lot...You can actualy feel if they are bad when you take your frame apart.I found defective bearing on my brand new Enduro :-( Are you sure that your shock is bad?? There may be more problems with your bike. Rob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts