Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just hooked an '06 S-Works Enduro in the 'Bay but it's only coming with the low BB shuttle. Would like to pick up the high BB shuttle. Any ideas? :confused:

Also, front der. in manual says 34.9 clamp and I assume it's bottom pull with a top swing...am I right? Thanks for any info. :thumbsup:

Another question...Has anyone sent their DHXA into Fox to have the schrader valve installed on the boost valve with successful frame clearance? Is the only way to up the travel by going with an 8.75X2.75 coil shock or can Fox extend the DHXA to 2.75" stroke from stock 2.5"?

Thanks for any help...just ready to get the frame in my hands and start the build! :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
and.... i don't believe PUSH can extend the DHXa. General consensus is that the DHXa blows through it's travel anyway, hence some people switching them out. And Incidentally, you don't NEED to reduce the travel of a 2.75 stroke shock. It fits fine on M/L frames.

·
wretch
2,126 Posts
I've also got a new, extra shuttle. . . PM. . .

Have fun with the build, I love mine, but all I can think about doing is getting rid of the air and getting a coil. Ebay had a few 08 DHX 5's brand new, 8.75X2.75 for $200. You can reduce the travel on the DHX coil to keep the geo normal (talking about the 8.75 x 2.75), or keep it as is for a slacker ride that should be around 170 right??

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bad andy said:
and.... i don't believe PUSH can extend the DHXa. General consensus is that the DHXa blows through it's travel anyway, hence some people switching them out. And Incidentally, you don't NEED to reduce the travel of a 2.75 stroke shock. It fits fine on M/L frames.
I am aware of the DHXA midstroke issues. I have shimmed the outer sleeve to remove its volume with good success on my QuasiMoto (now just using the Low Volume Can). I had some closed-cell foam underlayment for laminate flooring that was about 1/8" thick that worked perfectly. The ride difference was enough that I can truely say I love the DHXA on the Quasi now. I plan to try the mod on the Enduro if needed before I jump to a coil (really want to stay air). Surely someone has tried this on the Enduro with a DHXA before. Anyone remember the results?

Additionally, looking at the recommended PSI chart in the manual shows pressures at or slightly above ride weight. That's what I use for the DHXA on my Quasi which is a 2.95:1 ratio where the Enduro is 2.36:1 ratio...much lower leverage but still requires the same pressure to maintain sag. Anyone know why this is the case? I had always thought a lower leverage ratio would mean less air pressure needed. Guess not. :confused:

·
I dig trails!
5,611 Posts
Keep in mind that the higher BB shuttle also steepens the HA.

That said, get a coil, and pedal strikes will be minimal. (at least it was for me and my BB is lower than yours - 8.5" shock/low BB) With the DHXa, pedal strikes happened during climbing(!) :( Climbing steeps is much, much better with the coil as well (it doesn't sag into travel so it doesn't lift the front end - with a 160 fork). The coil's failure is the ol' parking lot lift-o test = "That's heavy dude." But it isn't really felt on the trail.

Linkage rates are not constant through travel - they rise and/or fall through the travel. That is probably the reason for the lower overall ratio, but same pressure. The ratios changing through travel are the same reason why air is not so great for this particular bike (tho I would love to hear otherwise).

I just put on a Roco and can't wait to try it out on Sunday!

P

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.